DOF C&C

tjones8611

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im still trying to get the DOF down while ensuring exposure if tolerable. These were taken with Aperture Priority. Anyone better than the others?

4033040344_78a96a2803_b.jpg

4033042176_90ce3c96de_b.jpg

4033041066_d965e65088_b.jpg

def #3, dont wana see the nasty barbed wire.

Before I start commenting on the DOF can we know the aperture you shot these at? If you can't remember check the EXIF data (right click on the photo in your computer and go to properties - click on the details tab and scroll down to find the aperture of the shot)

1/8 @ f/36, 1/250 @ f/5.6, 1/320 @ f/5 with an ISO o 100 for all three

Should I have tightened the shot more, elminating more of the background?

I believe photo #3 adheres to the generally accepted philosophy of keeping the subject of interest in focus while keeping everything else out of focus. So, I would say photo #3 is the best of the 3 images.

Photo number two shows a slight bit of blurring that looks like camera shake. The third photo shows the fibers of the thistle plant rendered crisply. I spent summers growing up on my grandparent's ranch, and to me an old thistle in that brown stage represents a particular time of year. In the background of the second photo I see a line of small trees that I am almost certain is a small brook or very tiny creek. The looseness of the barbed wire tells me that the fence is not in very good repair; the strands should be tight, and well-separated. So, even though the second shot is not all that great technically, the creek draw in the background, the loose yet not-yet-rusted 4-barb style of modern barbed wire, and the decayed stage of the thistle plant and the look of the pasture conveys a LOT of information. Shots 1 and 3 do not convey the same things,and so I prefer the middle shot for all the context that it shows me.

Derrel, you nailed it perfectly! I wasnt tying to get the tree line, but thought the barbed wire in 2 might add to the scene without distracting from the thistle

Photo number two shows a slight bit of blurring that looks like camera shake. The third photo shows the fibers of the thistle plant rendered crisply. I spent summers growing up on my grandparent's ranch, and to me an old thistle in that brown stage represents a particular time of year. In the background of the second photo I see a line of small trees that I am almost certain is a small brook or very tiny creek. The looseness of the barbed wire tells me that the fence is not in very good repair; the strands should be tight, and well-separated. So, even though the second shot is not all that great technically, the creek draw in the background, the loose yet not-yet-rusted 4-barb style of modern barbed wire, and the decayed stage of the thistle plant and the look of the pasture conveys a LOT of information. Shots 1 and 3 do not convey the same things,and so I prefer the middle shot for all the context that it shows me.

Smart-alec! :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back