Dog in profile

noahx1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, this is my first real post, would love some feedback, criticism, etc! I am very new to photography, so let me know what you think! Thank you :)

Attachments

• IMG_9131.JPG
    IMG_9131.JPG
    1,013.8 KB · Views: 137
I like the "world from his POV" perspective.

Hi noahx1,

This does not work for me. The most in focus part of the image I think is around the collar and there is nothing interesting there.
The POV idea would be neat, but we can't tell what the dog is looking at.
Try again with actually the dogs eye(s) in focus, or maybe a shot directly behind the dog showing exactly what it sees.

I like the "world from his POV" perspective.
Thank you! :)

Hi noahx1,

This does not work for me. The most in focus part of the image I think is around the collar and there is nothing interesting there.
The POV idea would be neat, but we can't tell what the dog is looking at.
Try again with actually the dogs eye(s) in focus, or maybe a shot directly behind the dog showing exactly what it sees.
I never saw it like that, looking again, the collar really does take the forefront, where the focus should be, as you said, on the eyes. Thank you for your feedback!

I agree with Jaca - focus on eyes and a more space on the left of the frame so we can see more of what the dog is seeing (especially since it looks like a really pretty scene.)

The main concept of the composition here is solid: you are down at the dog's level and giving us a less-common perspective (seeing what the dog sees.) Getting these elements of composition are in some ways the harder work, so it seems like you're off to a good start in that sense. The rest are details that that will be easier to remember after you've been shooting for a while. The frustrating part is that very often, the devil is in the details :)

I agree with Jaca - focus on eyes and a more space on the left of the frame so we can see more of what the dog is seeing (especially since it looks like a really pretty scene.)

The main concept of the composition here is solid: you are down at the dog's level and giving us a less-common perspective (seeing what the dog sees.) Getting these elements of composition are in some ways the harder work, so it seems like you're off to a good start in that sense. The rest are details that that will be easier to remember after you've been shooting for a while. The frustrating part is that very often, the devil is in the details :)
Thank you for the tips and encouragement! I tried getting more of the background (mountains) in the frame, but found it to be a little tricky....next time I will have more patience for the details!

Good job if you are in the beginning. In this kind of picture I love to focus on the background and leave the dog/cat/person out of focus. Our brain knows who and what is the observer.

Good job if you are in the beginning. In this kind of picture I love to focus on the background and leave the dog/cat/person out of focus. Our brain knows who and what is the observer.
Thank you! Yeah, I would have liked to have the background more in focus, I'll try switching them around next time!

Most reactions

Back