I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
wanted to try out some of the D7100's different AF modes and see how they worked. there's quite a few to choose from.
AF-C, AF-A, 5,9,21,51pt,auto, 3D Tracking... lot of options to choose from.
What I learned from all the testing is....None of it means squat if your shutter speed is too slow to stop moving objects.
But, that's what I get for dickering around too much with the AF stuff and not paying any attention to my other settings.
a few came out ok(ish).

The 3D tracking is pretty good. probably a little better with people and facial tracking. with the dogs, it had a hard time distinguishing their heads from their butts. 51pt AF was cool, but I got a lot of missed focus shots, especially with the dogs running.
AF-C and AF-A arent really that much different. AF-A is just Nikons "auto" AF mode where the camera can distinguish between moving and still objects. I liked it since i didn't have to switch modes from continuous focus to single.

Anyway....next time i think i will just drop into shutter priority, set my SS a little higher, and let the camera take care of the rest. I only took the 85mm out today, so had to do a lot of cropping. Ran them through LR for a quick edit before export, then as an afterthought, re-sized in MS paint 'cause the files were too big to upload here.
The Retriever in the blue harness is our rescue, Magic.

View attachment 64973
View attachment 64972
View attachment 64974
View attachment 64975
View attachment 64976
View attachment 64977
View attachment 64978

Dogs running / playing is one of the hardest things to capture IMO. I think you did a great job. As far as the focus goes, it looks good to me. For some reason, I like pics 4 and 5 the best.

I don't know nothin' about no AF modes, but the pictures look good to me. The first one is a good capture - I like the paws off the ground and the tiny bit of motion blur in the tails. And #4 and 5 are great portraits. Magic looks like he's doing really well!

Gotta love the dog parks. It's time for us to go again.

Once you get all that focus and shutter speed stuff down, get on your knees or grab a stool/bench etc. Get most or more shots at the pooches eye level.
Maybe some shots with them snagging tennis balls.

I don't know nothin' about no AF modes, but the pictures look good to me. The first one is a good capture - I like the paws off the ground and the tiny bit of motion blur in the tails. And #4 and 5 are great portraits. Magic looks like he's doing really well!

Yes yes yes - Magic is a Beaut!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back