Doing a shoot with a celebrity....Nervous.

DirtyDFeckers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So this Wednesday, I will be doing a shoot for the cast of style network's "Ruby." I have known them since before the show was even made, but for some reason, I'm incredibly nervous. I'm paranoid that I don't have the proper lighting equipment and stuff. I have 2 SB700's with stands, and am shooting with a D7000 right now. Advice for my shoot? Any would be appreciated.

They're just people like everyone else and that's how you have to look at it. On the other side you have to be confident in yourself to do the job, if you're not, then you have defeated yourself before even giving yourself a chance. You say that you know them, use that as a focus point, if they are comfortable with you then don't worry.

do you have any modifiers on those sb700s? i'd get them indoors under a nice white ceiling, and bounce the flashes off it. even with those small diffusers for speedlights, they don't do a good job for skin.

good luck

I feel like different versions of this question has been coming up quite a bit lately. and it always goes like this: "Hi, I'm a beginner to intermediate and I know know not much to some things. I have this gig coming up for this client who wants me to do this thing, and I'm not sure if I have enough equipment to do what they want. This is what I have." it seems like this comes up at least once a week around here these days. I'm not saying that it's not a semi-valid question, or that the aren't times when it's appropriate, but it's getting a bit out of control.

There are numerous things that are very wrong with this line of questioning. First, skill levels are far more important than gear, so the questions of gear is moot, if you don't have the skills to pull off the job. Second, what does the client want? What gear you have and what gear you need is entirely determined by what the client is hoping to accomplish. It's true, very skilled people can do a lot with very little gear, but there are still many Lois that are entirely gear dependent. In your situation, what does the client want?

These questions always represent two missing pi exes of very crucial knowledge: what the client wants and what can be accomplished with what gear. This process should always be nothing more than a knowledge of what the client wants, and a knowledge of what you are capable of doing with your gear. And in my opinion, before you start charging for gigs, you should really be pretty good at discerning those tow things.

This isn't really about professional or not professional looking images. It's about what looks you are capable of achieving. Do they want an environmental portrait using natural light? You can do that. Do they want a one light portrait against fading twilight? You can do that. Do they want a midday group shot with beautiful soft light that over powers the sun? You can't do that. Any of those options could be top notch, professional looking, or look like crap. This isn't about that. It's about capabilities. You should know what a client wants and if you have the capabilities to pull it off before you sign on to a job.

I feel like different versions of this question has been coming up quite a bit lately. and it always goes like this: "Hi, I'm a beginner to intermediate and I know know not much to some things. I have this gig coming up for this client who wants me to do this thing, and I'm not sure if I have enough equipment to do what they want. This is what I have." it seems like this comes up at least once a week around here these days. I'm not saying that it's not a semi-valid question, or that the aren't times when it's appropriate, but it's getting a bit out of control.

There are numerous things that are very wrong with this line of questioning. First, skill levels are far more important than gear, so the questions of gear is moot, if you don't have the skills to pull off the job. Second, what does the client want? What gear you have and what gear you need is entirely determined by what the client is hoping to accomplish. It's true, very skilled people can do a lot with very little gear, but there are still many Lois that are entirely gear dependent. In your situation, what does the client want?

These questions always represent two missing pi exes of very crucial knowledge: what the client wants and what can be accomplished with what gear. This process should always be nothing more than a knowledge of what the client wants, and a knowledge of what you are capable of doing with your gear. And in my opinion, before you start charging for gigs, you should really be pretty good at discerning those tow things.

This isn't really about professional or not professional looking images. It's about what looks you are capable of achieving. Do they want an environmental portrait using natural light? You can do that. Do they want a one light portrait against fading twilight? You can do that. Do they want a midday group shot with beautiful soft light that over powers the sun? You can't do that. Any of those options could be top notch, professional looking, or look like crap. This isn't about that. It's about capabilities. You should know what a client wants and if you have the capabilities to pull it off before you sign on to a job.

word.

I'm trying to get bigger gigs but it seems that no one around here is willing to give me a chance. So congratulations on getting the gig. Just be confident and you will do fine.

I could help you shoot it :sexywink:

I completely understand what you are saying, and this thread wasn't really about not having enough gear, although it does concern me that we will be shooting 7 people outdoors using 2 speedlights. The thread was more about cooling my nerves. I know that you can understand how big something like this could be for an aspiring photographer. I don't doubt my skills or question my ability to achieve what the clients want. I do appreciate your input though, and thanks for taking the time to post such a lengthy reply. I'll let you guys know how everything goes!

just act confident--even if your not.

The old saying "fake it to you make it," is just about the best professional advice anyone can give--especially in the artistic/entertainment industry.

The old saying "fake it to you make it," is just about the best professional advice anyone can give--especially in the artistic/entertainment industry.

Thank you for this. The shoot got bumped to this afternoon, so I'll let you guys know how it goes! Thanks again!

If you know how to do lighting but it takes you a while to set up shots then do a light setup before hand with an assistant so you are not wasting the clients time fiddling with lighting ratios and camera settings. Remember multiple people in a photo can complicate a lighting setup so if you do a test set up do it with as many people who are going to actually be in the photo.

It's true that the expression is relatively true in the professional sector. But the eintre truth tho this expression is highly contingent on your pulling off whatever you are faking. The second half of that expression should be "...but blow a few jobs and you'll never work again." Lots of people fake it, but most of them don't make it. They fake it, they fail, and the flunk out. Faking it is the easy part. Making it is what's hard.

If you know how to do lighting but it takes you a while to set up shots then do a light setup before hand with an assistant so you are not wasting the clients time fiddling with lighting ratios and camera settings. Remember multiple people in a photo can complicate a lighting setup so if you do a test set up do it with as many people who are going to actually be in the photo.

Great advice. When you are shooting with people, your whole process should be so seamless and easy that almost your complete attention can just be on connecting with and engaging your subject. Whether it's because you are very experienced with lighting and have it all down, or because you figured out a good lighting option ahead of time and practice with a test subject, you want to be fully devoted to your subject when the shooting begins.

Be yourself, take a deep breath, and have fun with your subject. Over the past two weeks I have photographed and interviewed a host of celebrities at SXSW. Some were a pain in the a** to deal with but some were, simply put, awesome. Just remember that they are normal people just like you and are very likely a bit nervous about having their pictures taken. Don't be afraid to laugh and joke around a bit - it will put everyone at ease.

I also like photocist's "just bring liquor" tip.

Have fun and good luck!

Most reactions

Back