Doll Face

alannahrose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is one of my pictures in my portfolio for my first semester of photography school. If you're interested, the rest is posted on my blog- AlannahRosePhotography.blogspot.com. Any suggestions? =] I'll post the original if anyone wants.

8.jpg

Last edited:
The skin smoothing isn't doing it for me. I get that you were going for a smooth 'doll face'...but I think there could be a lot of improvements to your PP technique.

Your lighting is pretty good, and the multiple catchlights from the small lights looks interesting and different. But I think Big Mike's really hit the crux of the matter--the PP on the shot just isn't working to advance the shot.

Big Mike BTW, posted a link to a really good tutorial on using Gaussian Blur and High Pass filter in combo for smoothing skin without a lot of hassles, and I'm going to repost the link here because I think the techniques in this tutorial would make your shot look much better.

Skin Retouching Tutorial Pt 2 - Photography Reviews, How-To, and Galleries of Digital Grin

Skin Retouching Tutorial Pt 2 - Page 2 - Photography Reviews, How-To, and Galleries of Digital Grin

Skin Retouching Tutorial Pt 2 - Page 3 - Photography Reviews, How-To, and Galleries of Digital Grin

The skin smoothing isn't doing it for me. I get that you were going for a smooth 'doll face'...but I think there could be a lot of improvements to your PP technique.

Agreed. It looks soft instead of smooth.

Other than that, I like the image. It makes me think of the movie "Cabaret" and I like that.

I honestly can't look at it for more than a few seconds...creepy to me lol

but overall I'd say you probably hit what you were going for. Skin seems soft instead of smooth (like others have said), but I honestly think some of that might have been due to the makeup used. Try a slightly more shiny/reflective coating on her skin to make it look more plastic. Then it won't seem as soft but it will still be very smooth.

I think there are too many catchlights in the eyes.

Deleted.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I actually spent a couple hours on this one. It was mostly very detailed work. I did the best with what I have learned so far in classes.

I would really prefer it if people didn't edit my pictures though. That's why I have it set to "My photos Are NOT OK to Edit."

And yes I did get the look I was trying to. I was going for very creepy and I didn't mind the rest of the face being out of focus because I wanted the attention to go to the eyes and lips. Thanks everyone.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back