Jaemie

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jaemierobinson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Photos with the "new" lens! :cat:

The adapter finally arrived (USPS "missent" it and had to redeliver) and I had a chance to take some shots with the Canon 70-210 FD early this morning. Big, BIG, thanks to pixmedic and his wife, once again, for their very kind and generous donation!

The "ZYKKOR Professional Canon FD Lens to Canon EF Body Mount Adapter" seems to fit perfectly to the body and the lens to the adapter. Everything is smooth and snug going on and coming off. However, the aperture adjustment does not appear to function. I took 3 shots of each subject where all settings were constant except for aperture, which I set at f/4, f/11, and f/32, respectively. I can see no difference in DOF or anything else in any of the shots. Each appears identical with a very narrow DOF. I suspect this has something to do with the mounting, and not the lens itself. I'm going to google around for information right now, but if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I'm all ears.

Other than the aperture issue, I'm very happy with the performance and IQ of this lens in these first images. C&C is welcome (#4 is really just a test shot).

$Clark Leaf 1 FD.jpg

$Tennis Gate 1 FD a.jpg

$Clark Moss 1 FD a.jpg

4. (test shot)
$Clark Bush 1 a.jpg

awe..hope you can get the aperture thing worked out..
maybe with the adapter you have to use the manual aperture ring instead of on camera setting?
Buckster might be able to help with that since he uses some older FD lenses with an adapter.
the pics look good though!

awe..hope you can get the aperture thing worked out..
maybe with the adapter you have to use the manual aperture ring instead of on camera setting?
Buckster might be able to help with that since he uses some older FD lenses with an adapter.
the pics look good though!

Thank you. :)

Regarding the aperture, I was using the ring on the lens when I took these photos. Also, turning the ring with the lens off of the camera has no visible effect on the aperture blades, but I read that that is normal and that the lens must be mounted on the camera for this to work. I'm sure it has something to do with the mounting; the probability that it's a lens malfunction must be very small.

You're showing us pictures of bush?:lol:

So what aperture does it use when you take photos?

So what aperture does it use when you take photos?

It's very narrow, so I'm guessing f/4 or 5.6. For each photo, I positioned the ring at 4, 11, and 32, without apparent effect. Here are 3 different shots, at f//4, f/11, and f/32, respectively. I see no difference.

$IMG_2778 A.jpg

$IMG_2779 A.jpg

$IMG_2780 A.jpg

I'm clueless about Canon gear, so this comes from my experience shooting Nikon: try setting the lens' aperture ring at the smallest possible value (f/32?), then control the aperture using the camera's dial. (If there's an "A" setting right after the lens' smallest aperture value, try using that instead.)

Jaime, if your adapter is like mine, there's a separate ring on the adapter itself that works the lens aperture by engaging with the lens' aperture mechanism. Try this:

Remove the lens/adapter from the camera body. While looking through the lens/adapter from the body end, try turning the ring on the adapter and see if you can see the aperture open and close inside it. When the aperture is adjusted, mount it back onto the body and shoot it for comparison.

ETA: See this link, which may help: http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/canon-fd-lens-to-canon-eos-camera-fotodiox-lens-mount-adapter.html

Last edited:
Jaime, if your adapter is like mine, there's a separate ring on the adapter itself that works the lens aperture by engaging with the lens' aperture mechanism.

I just got back from the weekend in Portland. And.. I got the aperture working on the lens! :D

Buckster: Thank you for the information. My adapter has a separate ring that says LOCK and OPEN. I assumed this referred to locking the adapter to the camera body (and it might indeed mean that, but the adapter locks regardless of how this ring is positioned). Anyway, putting this in LOCK does something that engages the aperture ring in the lens which now functions perfectly. It's that simple: attach adapter to camera and move ring to LOCK, then attach lens to adapter. Bingo!

Here's the adapter I'm using: Canon FD/FL Lens to Canon EOS Camera Body Adapter

Now, I can go out and take some more photos tomorrow and REALLY have some fun.

Huzzah! Glad everything is working good. Glad you are happy with the lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back