I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Since it has been a while since I have rummaged through the closet (AKA T.A.R.D.I.S) and dug up something to give away, I decided I would make it something nice this time.
Interest in the Leica was....well...it was Blah. made in Portugal, serial number too low, possible electrical issues, no lens....OK OK, i got the hint, not Leica's shining moment for SLR's... so the Leica went back in a box on a shelf in the closet. In its place, I offer up this wonderful Olympus OM-2. It is in EX condition, and everything on it works, including the meter. (had to get batteries for it to test...expensive little buggers) It comes with a lens, (Zukio 50mm f/1.8), a leather half case and cover (with the felt liner) and a fantastic leather and thread neck strap. (also in EX condition, and might give you some hipster cred or something). The only thing this camera is missing is the optional accessory shoe. (easily found on ebay)
If you are not familiar with this camera, info on it can be found HERE

Many of you already know how these donations work. For everyone else, here's how it goes...
As usual, this camera is free to a good home. We will pay for shipping. Your out of pocket cost to get it to your door is $0.00 (CON US & Alaska ONLY)
If you are interested in this camera, post in this thread with your current film gear list (if any) and how you feel this camera will benefit you in your pursuit of film photography. (I don't need a whole dissertation or a sob story, just something a little more deserving than "i want it because its free and it will be great for my camera collection"
I will let this run for a week or two if there is enough interest in it.
Consider this an early Christmas present from Santa Medic.

me and the wife reserve the right to alter the conditions or cancel this donation at any time for any dumb old reason.
PM's or Emails for this camera may or may not get considered.

View attachment 61317

View attachment 61313
View attachment 61314
View attachment 61315
View attachment 61316

Last edited:
Pixmedic, I haven't been around long enough to know that you do this. It's unusual and very generous.

I feel a little greedy doing this, but I'm going to put my hat into the ring for this camera because I think I would give the OM-2 a good home. Here's my list of cameras that are in current rotation:

SLRs
Pentax K1000
Pentax Spotmatic SP500
Mamiya 645 Pro TL (medium format)

Rangefinders
Zorki 6
Olympus 35RC
Polaroid Land Camera 100

TLR
Lubitel 166B

Homemade pinhole

I also have a few older cameras that aren't in rotation yet because they need some cleaning and tweaking: Polaroid Color Pack III, Kodak Tourist, Brownie Hawkeye, Argus Argoflex.

As you already know, I'm a film shooter. I do have a variety of cameras and enjoy them all. I learned on an SLR and that's what I feel most comfortable with. In another thread, I mentioned that I shot the Pentax K1000 with the same Takumar 28-80 f3.5 lens for 20 years because I felt that I still wasn't good enough to warrant a 'better' camera. I still love my K1000 and she is still my go-to camera, but I've since learned that I have gained quite a lot of skills that I can apply to other cameras. I just shoot differently with different cameras, and that has been the push to learn new skills and gain confidence in myself. Perhaps it's finally time for an 'upgrade' of a kind.

I have always shot on full manual, but I am recognizing the freedom of shooting in semi-auto. I'm finally ready to relinquish a little bit of control over to the camera, and I believe that it might loosen up my composition, allow me to experiment a bit more with that since I won't be preoccupied with exposure. I do love though that the OM-2 has a switch that will allow the flexibility to do both so I can take control back if I want to override the camera. All of this give me more understanding of what I have to d with the camera to get the effect that I want. And I've fallen quite in love with Olympus and Zuiko lenses ever since getting my little 35RC.

I hope that's not too much of a dissertation! :) Do I need the camera? No. Do I want the camera? Yes, very much. And I would treat her well.

ive done this a few times before. :wink:
you can see the short list HERE.
usually its just misc. older lenses and such.
occasionally its something good.

Last edited:
ive done this a few times before. :wink:
you can see the short list HERE.
usually its just misc. older lenses and such.
occasionally its something good.

...it's all good.You & Mrs.P provide a new home and a new experience to an otherwise unused item.

I'm not going to throw my hat in the ring (as much as I want to, but it's unfair as I already have an OM camera), but I will say this: the OM series are FANTASTIC cameras and are a joy to use. Whoever gets this should REALLY put it to good use (I know from her posts that limr will, so there's another vote here). I LOVE my OM-1n with that lens.

That case is pretty neat. THAT would come in VERY, VERY handy.

Medic, I give you a ton of credit for this. Good on you to find it a good home.

My current gear is:

- Nikon D5100
- 50mm prime lens
- 18-55mm kit lens
- 70-300mm telephoto lens
- reverse ring and other macro conversion tools
- Yongnuo flashes and basic lighting kit
- various accessories

I want this camera for three main reasons.

1) I've never shot film before. I feel like I can't call myself a real photographer. I would love to finally delve into the world of film photography and this guy would be a wonderful candidate to getting started. I'm so fascinated with the idea of pictures being permanent (and expensive), creating a sort of restriction to work within, and the process of really developing them. I think it would be fun, and it's an experience I believe every photographer should have.

2) I only have one body. Even though if I was doing a paid gig and would prefer two digitals, it would be nice to have a backup body whether it's film or digital, than no backup at all. This will also enable me to take more creative "photographer" pictures than simply holding my DSLR up in front of the mirror.

3) I LOVE the retro look. I'm not buying Nikon's newest callback to the retro look, and I'd much rather have the real thing anyway. I feel like I might get a sense for the era, plus it looks really cool, and I can imagine doing some really creative stuff combining cameras, lenses, and film and using different things as props/accessories.

The OM-2 and lens would be going to a good home, as I take care of my gear with utmost respect. Thank you for your consideration! Happy holidays! :)

bumping for the night shift!

I would also like to take a moment to voice some past concerns.
we have donated quite a bit of miscellaneous camera gear over the last year or so...
some lenses, some accessories, even some full camera systems, both film and digital.
The only thing we have ever asked in return, is that whoever gives the gear a new home, uses it. That is the reason someone would be asking for it, right? that is the purpose of these donations. To get some gear out of the closet and back into service.
This is where the whole process falls apart i think. We basically run this on the honor system. You say what equipment you have, and that you will make good use of whatever we are giving away, and we believe you. ideally, what we would like to see is pictures taken with whatever gear you got from us, just so we can see that it did, in fact, actually get used. I think this has happened maybe twice in the dozen-ish lenses and cameras we have donated. We have even sent film with the cameras, to no avail.

It has become, to say the least, a bit disheartening. Quite honestly, it has begun to dampen my enthusiasm for this sort of thing. It has harshed my mellow.
There isn't much point in dwelling over the myriad of possibilities for such happenings, but sufficed to say, after some discussion with the wife, we have come to the conclusion that if I fail to pick someone that will be willing to show that our donated gear is being used, we will be making this our last donation. We just do not believe that it is too much to ask for someone getting free equipment to put forth what little effort is needed to use the gear and post some photos. Honestly, if the % trend of donations -vs- people actually showing us they used the stuff continues like it has, I am certainly better off stopping it here before i get to the box with the more expensive stuff in it. If I wanted it to just sit in some collection, It would be much easier for me to just leave it in the closet.

Ok. So enough of my ranting.
this is a great camera, in great shape, looking for a forever home.
Whoever gets it, the future of these donations is riding on your ability to do what we are asking in return for getting a free camera.
No pressure.

I would want it, but only to add to my collection. Every so often, I get a wild hair and run a roll of film through one of the cameras on the shelf. On deck is, I believe, my Jloca Stereo II, like this one: Jloca Stereo II

I have no earthly idea what I'll do with the photos, though, once I do it.

So, suffice it to say, I'd love to have the OM-2, but it'll only get used every once in a blue moon...

I would want it, but only to add to my collection. Every so often, I get a wild hair and run a roll of film through one of the cameras on the shelf. On deck is, I believe, my Jloca Stereo II, like this one: Jloca Stereo II

I have no earthly idea what I'll do with the photos, though, once I do it.

So, suffice it to say, I'd love to have the OM-2, but it'll only get used every once in a blue moon...

we don't donate these cameras with any expectations that it will be someones primary rig, or even a weekend shooter.
All we really want, is to know that it is getting used more than the "never" times a year that it gets used by us.
Just something that shows us that it didnt go from our closet, to someone elses closet. or craigslist. or ebay.

I don't know if I'd ever really get to use this, but if you do any Nikon stuff, I'd gladly make a thread showing it's use. :)

I would most certainly use it. I don't believe in cameras lying dormant and gathering dust. Maybe that's why I have a soft spot for old cameras (cgw will roll his eyes if he ever sees this.) I hate to see them ignored just because their "glory days" are past. They all still have hundreds of great photos in them if just given a chance! :)

And of course you have no way of knowing if I mean this or if I'm just sucking up. All I can tell you is that I don't say things I don't mean. And if you ever met me in real life, you'd see that I am painfully bad at sucking up so I never even try!

Mr. and Mrs. Pixmedic are good folk. If you take their donated items, please use them and share some pictures with them and this forum.

bumping for the night shift!

I would also like to take a moment to voice some past concerns.
we have donated quite a bit of miscellaneous camera gear over the last year or so...
some lenses, some accessories, even some full camera systems, both film and digital.
The only thing we have ever asked in return, is that whoever gives the gear a new home, uses it. That is the reason someone would be asking for it, right? that is the purpose of these donations. To get some gear out of the closet and back into service.
This is where the whole process falls apart i think. We basically run this on the honor system. You say what equipment you have, and that you will make good use of whatever we are giving away, and we believe you. ideally, what we would like to see is pictures taken with whatever gear you got from us, just so we can see that it did, in fact, actually get used. I think this has happened maybe twice in the dozen-ish lenses and cameras we have donated. We have even sent film with the cameras, to no avail.

It has become, to say the least, a bit disheartening. Quite honestly, it has begun to dampen my enthusiasm for this sort of thing. It has harshed my mellow.
There isn't much point in dwelling over the myriad of possibilities for such happenings, but sufficed to say, after some discussion with the wife, we have come to the conclusion that if I fail to pick someone that will be willing to show that our donated gear is being used, we will be making this our last donation. We just do not believe that it is too much to ask for someone getting free equipment to put forth what little effort is needed to use the gear and post some photos. Honestly, if the % trend of donations -vs- people actually showing us they used the stuff continues like it has, I am certainly better off stopping it here before i get to the box with the more expensive stuff in it. If I wanted it to just sit in some collection, It would be much easier for me to just leave it in the closet.

Ok. So enough of my ranting.
this is a great camera, in great shape, looking for a forever home.
Whoever gets it, the future of these donations is riding on your ability to do what we are asking in return for getting a free camera.
No pressure.

What an exciting proposition! The thrill is almost overwhelming. (No sarcasm intended). You can rest assured I would be posting results from this camera if I am deemed worthy as the chosen one!

Most reactions

Back