Don't take my photo, it can be used to discriminate me

By the way, those of you that did ask permission to shoot street people, was the resulting photo of sufficient quality to make it worthwhile and the "right" decision photographically?

skieur

I ran into that one day in uptown Charlotte. It was a street performer and he had no issue with me taking a photo but he more or less posed for it when I brought the camera up.....

Just a small note of legal Jargon here for you, I picked this up while training to be a Private Investigator. IN CANADA: "Any given person has no privacy rights when in public" The point here is that if your in view of the public you dont have any privacy to protect, this includes your own front or back yard or a store or any place the public has access to. I add this note only to provide some UFI, this comment does not reflect my own personal views and I believe each photographer needs his or her own code of ethics. All I am speaking to here is what the law says about it.

Just a small note of legal Jargon here for you, I picked this up while training to be a Private Investigator. IN CANADA: "Any given person has no privacy rights when in public" The point here is that if your in view of the public you dont have any privacy to protect, this includes your own front or back yard or a store or any place the public has access to. I add this note only to provide some UFI, this comment does not reflect my own personal views and I believe each photographer needs his or her own code of ethics. All I am speaking to here is what the law says about it.
That's all well and good...but your backyard is not in public view unless you are in someone else's backyard...aka...you're not on public property.

If you see someone on the street though...you're pretty much allowed to do anything...

That's how I decide...legally...
But sometimes I'm shy about taking pictures if I know the person knows...cause I don't wanna seem like a pedophile, stalker, or rapist...

Hey guys! I come from another corner of the world and feel interested in this topic.

First of all, if you take the photo before people notice it. You're successful and you have the "rights" to keep it.

When people know your lens is pointing at them before you press your shutter, and don't welcome your action, first of all, you've lost your expected "moment". Secondly, maybe you have the rights to insist but it's not "right" without respecting others.

Most reactions

Back