Double Exposures

CherylL

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The Fuji XT-4 can use up to 9 exposures. That may be too cluttered, but I will experiment. These images were 2 exposures. Add your multiple exposures to this thread. Any tips are appreciated.

011223_012SMALLw.jpg

011223_027SMALLw.jpg

011223_033SMALLw.jpg

Multiple exposures in camera are quirky, fun to try, but I prefer to combine images in post for greater control. Pentax offers Additive, Average and Bright. In Additive each frame's exposure is added to the previous frame. The disadvantage of the mode is that each exposure creates an increasingly brighter exposure making it easy to blow the highlights. Average combines multiple exposures to average them. Bright mode is apparently similar to Additive with the diffetence being that only pixels brighter than a certain (median?) value will be added.

Interesting shots. I'll have to see what settings my Canon 90D has.
Post up your experiment! If I remember correctly, Canon allows you to use a photo on your SD card as one of the photos. I made this one on a Canon a long time ago. I don't remember my settings.

CJflower by Cheryl, on Flickr

Multiple exposures in camera are quirky, fun to try, but I prefer to combine images in post for greater control. Pentax offers Additive, Average and Bright. In Additive each frame's exposure is added to the previous frame. The disadvantage of the mode is that each exposure creates an increasingly brighter exposure making it easy to blow the highlights. Average combines multiple exposures to average them. Bright mode is apparently similar to Additive with the diffetence being that only pixels brighter than a certain (median?) value will be added.
Fuji has Additive, Average, Light, and Dark. I used Additive for the above 3 photos and changed to the aperture to darken. Your explanation is helpful as to why the photos were too bright at current settings.

I plan on trying out the other Fuji selections. The Fuji gives both the original raw files and the combined jpg. Photoshop would be so much easier, but I like a challenge. After frequenting the walking trails around here, I felt like a rut with the same views and photos. I think the multiple exposure would be a good change.

In responding to the post of CherylL.
This, also, is a double exposure but a bit different. This is a double exposure on the negative.
I was on the stage and wanted a shot of the drummer but there was too much clutter in the way. I found myself in a spot where to my right were equipment stands and light tree stands, and to my left was a very large speaker. (about 5 foot by 5 foot by 6 or 7 foot high. I couldn't move any more to my right because the speaker blocked half of my lens. AH HA !! So I took the shot on half the frame, the went around to the other side of the speaker, allowed the speaker to block the first half of the frame, set my camera for a double exposure, and took a second shot on the other half of the frame.

Canon F1-N, 135 mm lens, Kodak 1000 asa, f2.8, 1/30.

IMG_0006 - Copy.jpg

It's not an image over an image, but one side by side.

Post up your experiment! If I remember correctly, Canon allows you to use a photo on your SD card as one of the photos. I made this one on a Canon a long time ago. I don't remember my settings.

CJflower by Cheryl, on Flickr
Canon has additive and average, but unfortunately my first attempt didn't work out because for some reason it turned off after I set it. Look for a puppy boop elsewhere for the result, since I couldn't just throw it away.

In responding to the post of CherylL.
This, also, is a double exposure but a bit different. This is a double exposure on the negative.
I was on the stage and wanted a shot of the drummer but there was too much clutter in the way. I found myself in a spot where to my right were equipment stands and light tree stands, and to my left was a very large speaker. (about 5 foot by 5 foot by 6 or 7 foot high. I couldn't move any more to my right because the speaker blocked half of my lens. AH HA !! So I took the shot on half the frame, the went around to the other side of the speaker, allowed the speaker to block the first half of the frame, set my camera for a double exposure, and took a second shot on the other half of the frame.

Canon F1-N, 135 mm lens, Kodak 1000 asa, f2.8, 1/30.

View attachment 263090
It's not an image over an image, but one side by side.
Wonderful photo! I like the split image with blue on left and purple on the right. Thanks for sharing your work around using the speaker to block half the image.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back