The Scent

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Phoebe is gradually warming up to the posing idea. Can't decide if I like the color or B&W version
January 202320230116_5936.jpg
Scent on the wind (1 of 1).jpg

Both
but slightly darker tones on the b&w image
Thanks for commenting. The B&W has an intentional fade applied specifically to limit the blacks and whites for a softer look.

Her coloring is so warm and nice, it's hard to beat. I like the softness of the color version. Might be tempted to increase the contrast in the B&W version, and not try to duplicate the soft look, but I see you worked deliberately to achieve it. Different strokes!

@terri and @otherprof the B&W is a virtual copy of the final edit of the color version so many of the edits in the first remain unchanged in the second. The fade is one of those edits that may not be to everyone's tastes but as you say different strokes. Lifting the blacks and limiting whites helps bring out shadow details that sometimes fill in as a B&W. This type of edit tends to better large also

Last edited:
I like the warmth of the colour image. I immediately thought the B&W looked a bit faded but having read your comment that's the effect you where after.

Color for me, but a bit more contrast in the B&W might change my mind.

Interesting viewing the comments how we view things differently. As noted earlier the B&W is a virtual copy of the color. It was converted to a B&W by using a profile (no changes to sliders). The only real difference in editing was choking the blacks and whites, and adding a touch of grain, the midtones were left untouched.

Definitely color for such a beautiful dog.

Heya. Colour for me. I know what I would rather cuddle ;)
Cheers, Ann. 🍷

I like the color one best. It seems sharper. It shows her beautiful colors.

I like the color one best. It seems sharper. It shows her beautiful colors.
Thanks Cheryl! As noted before it seems that decreases in the blacks/whites at the limits of the histogram have an effect on the perception of sharpness or contrast in an image when color is removed, even if the it remains unchanged in the midtones. Curiously you don't see that commented on images with atmospheric haze/fog. I'm wondering if part of it might be that the brain recognizes there's a reason for the decreased black/white and compensates whereas this creates an incongruity that can't be easily reconciled?

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back