What's new

Double Flash

Joefbs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Mar 19, 2014
Messages
175
Reaction score
51
Location
Tampa, Fl
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So these were my first shots using two flashes. Would like some CC if anyone is up to it. Thanks in advance!



 
Nice- using multiple lights opens up a whole new world. In the first image, the light coming from image right is wayyyy too harsh and undiffused. There is a very strong shadow across junior's forehead and a large part of the his skull is blown out, as is the floor. I think this would have been better as a single light image with the light about 20-3o degrees camera left, much closer and with some diffusion. Remember that the farther from the subject the light source is, the harsher it will appear. Closer is almost always better!

The second image is must nicer; you've got decent exposure where it counts, although the nose shadow on the older boy is a bit harsh, that's not too serious.
 
I toned down the clarity on the face and tried to fix that shadow. Also, tried to remove some of the harshness of the flash.

 
Definitely a BIG improvement; in most portraiture the key (main) light should be on the subject's face rather than behind.
 
Definitely a BIG improvement; in most portraiture the key (main) light should be on the subject's face rather than behind.

I kinda liked the dramatic effect that the rear flash provided, but I still have a lot to learn on how to create the vision I have. Plus, it's tough to get her to stay still ;)
 
On the shot of the toddler, I would be tempted to reallllly add a lot of "digital fill light" to the face. Not sure what editing app you are using, but fill light is what I would add, one way olr another. Then, re-intensify it by changing the black point, or by adjusting the curves, and/or by boosting the clarity a bit, or maybe a little bit of all three of those tools.

The shot of the older boy/young man in red cap with the baby on his lap...cute situation, and it is instructive as to how the face position relates to the light placement. As Tirediron mentions, the nose shadow of the red-hatted guy is not good, but the light is hitting the baby full-face, so he has no objectionable shadows. If the older boy had been say, turned toward the flash, then he too would be lighted in the same way. I think the nose shadow on the red-hatted guy hurts the image. Had the flash been placed more at say 7 o'clock instead of 9 o'clock, the lighting effect would have been different. Still, the shadow does give a strong, strong depth clue on the face, and it also makes his t-shirt look textured. And that's one thing this strong side-lighting is doing--it is showing a LOT of texture, and giving a LOT of depth clues, which can be a good thing. The carpeted stairts, and even the floor, are showing in really good relief in the shot of the baby--no mistaking either of these for a flat, on-camera,straight ahead flash snap. THEY BOTH look "lighted".
 
I would like to thank you guys for all the feedback that you have given me, not only in this post, but in all my picture posts. I have learned so much in the short amount of time that I have been here. Your constructive criticism has been extremely helpful in my learning process. I am happy to be a part of this site and look forward to the day where I can share what I have learned.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom