Both of them kinda missed their DoF. Assuming this is close to the min focus distance of your lens, you're gonna need to stop down a lot to get enough DoF. For example, this one I took this past weekend. Even at f/22 I lost some of the DoF.
I like the colors on the second one, but the red on the stem of the first one is kinda hot.
Agree w/ ^^ I would avoid stopping too far though, you'll start to lose sharpness as you approach minimum aperture in macro work. Try and stick around f11 - if that's not enough DoF, than you can either move back further from the subject and crop the image, or try focus stacking.
Over the past couple of weeks Ive been trying my hand with the Dragonflies. Ive gotten some great shots, but one thing I can not over come is blurry eyes. Ive even shot above f/15, the entire body in focus, but not the eyes. My shots are very similar to Ben's above. below is from last weekend, at f/9. I have the front legs in focus, the head, and hairs but not the eyes. Id the bulge of the eyes taken them out of my dof?
Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture: f/9.0
Focal Length: 200 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Thanks for the feedback, all. I'm using my 55-250 EF-S lens on these and that's part of the problem. I do have a macro on my wishlist. Looking at the Canon 100mm.
And Ben- that hot stem... is a piece of rusty metal... lol