Drive-in

I like the concept but I think the noise and soft focus are letting the photo down.

Ahhh, that brings back many,many fond memories. I used to work at that drive-in back when I was in high school. I spent many an hour in that projection booth, running films like E.T., Raiders of The Lost Ark, Tootsie, Superman 1,2,3, Gremlins, Blazing Saddles (a fantastic drive-in movie if ever there was one!!!), and so on. Back then, projection was reel-to-reel, using carbon arc lighting, not Xenon bulbs and platters with a jillion feet of film on them. Earlier this summer, I went back for the first time in maybe 17,18 years and saw Iron Man III there with my son. The last time I was there prior to this summer, I saw that awful last of the Indiana Jones movies--the stinker with Sean Connery. Uggg!

Wow thats a really familiar looking scene...

I like the concept but I think the noise and soft focus are letting the photo down.

Yeah. F1.4 in complete darkness. I'm ok with the noise given the subject matter. Softness is too bad. This was Handheld. With a tripod would've been nice.

Ahhh, that brings back many,many fond memories. I used to work at that drive-in back when I was in high school. I spent many an hour in that projection booth, running films like E.T., Raiders of The Lost Ark, Tootsie, Superman 1,2,3, Gremlins, Blazing Saddles (a fantastic drive-in movie if ever there was one!!!), and so on. Back then, projection was reel-to-reel, using carbon arc lighting, not Xenon bulbs and platters with a jillion feet of film on them. Earlier this summer, I went back for the first time in maybe 17,18 years and saw Iron Man III there with my son. The last time I was there prior to this summer, I saw that awful last of the Indiana Jones movies--the stinker with Sean Connery. Uggg!

Awesome! Our first time there. It was great!!!

Better quality picture than our local indoor theater in my opinion.

Rotanimod said:
SNIP>Better quality picture than our local indoor theater in my opinion.

The screen there is one of the largest remaining on the entire West Coast of the USA...and they are of course, projecting off of 35mm film prints with a pretty good, modern Xenon bulb analog projector system. I know the owner is very concerned about the USA film industry's immediate, forced conversion to all-digitial projection. He owns multiple theaters around the area, and is selling one of his business properties to help fund the conversion to digital projection in one of his indoor theaters. But yeah, the projection quality there is pretty good. and the screen is MASSIVE, compared against any indoor cinema.

No rotanimod, I will not go to the drive-in with you. Stop with the subtle hints. ;)
You know I'm funny! P.S. where has our naked Asian been?

The screen there is one of the largest remaining on the entire West Coast of the USA...and they are of course, projecting off of 35mm film prints with a pretty good, modern Xenon bulb analog projector system. I know the owner is very concerned about the USA film industry's immediate, forced conversion to all-digitial projection. He owns multiple theaters around the area, and is selling one of his business properties to help fund the conversion to digital projection in one of his indoor theaters. But yeah, the projection quality there is pretty good. and the screen is MASSIVE, compared against any indoor cinema.

They have reasonable prices on concessions too!

Yeah. F1.4 in complete darkness. I'm ok with the noise given the subject matter. Softness is too bad. This was Handheld. With a tripod would've been nice.

You are totally forgiven, since it's all about that projector, plus the mood and feelings this image provokes. :cheer: I love it!

there used to be a drive in movie near my house when i was in high school. I think they closed it a few years after I graduated.
I saw the beginning and the end of "Congo" the last time I was there. :D

there used to be a drive in movie near my house when i was in high school. I think they closed it a few years after I graduated.
I saw the beginning and the end of "Congo" the last time I was there. :D

Really? You missed the middle of the movie? I'm sure I don't know what you mean. :razz:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back