DSLR backpack

krice300

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I want to get a dslr backpack for longer hikes when the sling bag wears down the one shoulder too much. What backpacks does everyone have and which ones would you suggest. I have a d7000, 150mm macro, 8-16 mm,35 mm and a sb-700. And I'll place all my accessories in as well. An iPad slot would be nice too.

Im getting myself a Lowepro DSLR video fastpack 350. You might not want something as big as that and could go for a 200 or smaller. The 350 will fit more gear than you have (with ease) and can fit a 17" laptop.

Ive tried it out and it is comfortable!

I've got a Lowepro Computrekker and I've hauled it around the world. Although, for hiking, it's not really ideal because it doesn't spread the weight out all that well, it sort of turns into a big hump on you back. I'd prefer something from the NatureTrekker series when long hikes are involved.

When choosing a camera bag, especially a backpack, I think you really should do it in-person, at a well stocked camera store.

I use the Lowepro Pro Runner 350AW....Thinking of getting the 450.

Before that, I had the Lowepro slingshot 202AW and I had that for 2-3 years.

I just got the Pelican S130 and am trying that out. A change from my 5.11 Rush 24 w/ a mountainsmith camera cube or the Mountainsmith Spectrum I usually carry

My main camera bag is the Lowepro flipside 400 - Flipside 400 AW Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases

I had the exact same list of needs that you've currently got and it fits the bill perfectly. It easily fits all of my gear in which at the moment is

D7000
Sigma 10-20mm
Tamron 70-300mm
Nikon 18-105mm
Nikon 50mm
Brian tripod from 3 Legged Things
Accessories
iPad

I really like the security of the bag with the 'flipside' opening. The rain cover is blessing too, especially living in the UK!!

Like BigMike said--this is one of the choices that is best made in-person, at a well-stocked camera store. My Lowepro Trekker something or other is too darned big and heavy for day-hikes, but for what I bought it for, as a "transport bag", it's great. This month's issue of Popular Photography magazine has an article highlighting backpacks. You might look into that, see if they have it on their web site (although I think their web site is one month behind the magazine issues, for obvious reasons!).

For longer hikes, I think a hip-strap/aka belly band, whatever you wanna call it, rrealllllly helps! It transfers some of the weight to the hip area, not just the shoulders.

I've got the Lowepro Pro Runner 450. It holds everything I have.

It's definitely not for the feint of heart, though; it's big...

I've got a Lowepro Computrekker and I've hauled it around the world. Although, for hiking, it's not really ideal because it doesn't spread the weight out all that well, it sort of turns into a big hump on you back. I'd prefer something from the NatureTrekker series when long hikes are involved.

When choosing a camera bag, especially a backpack, I think you really should do it in-person, at a well stocked camera store.

Unfortunately for some, those are hard to come by!

For small day hikes i use a Lowpro Flipside Sport 10L (the small one)
Flipside Sport Series | Lowepro
I had the Flipside 200 before i bought the new 'sport' and loved the small/lightweight size. Being able to carry a DSLR w/70-200 f/2.8 attached and still have room for a UWA and tripod is something hard to find.

For longer/bigger hikes my go-to bag is the F-Stop Loka.
Loka | f-stop
Its a bit spendy... but worth every penny. I have some pictures of it with my snowboard strapped on it i'll post later tonight. Its an amazing bag and i highly recommend it. I've taken it all around the world and its never let me down.

I've used an Adventure 9 for years and really like it. The laptop slot is too small, but I use it for cap, rain gear, MRs, etc. Plenty of room for everything else

Unfortunately for some, those are hard to come by!

Amazon.com: Lowepro CompuTrekker AW Camera Backpack -Black: Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Another Flipside owner... I have a Flipside 300 and I like it a lot. You access the bag through the body-side, so you won't have anyone unzipping it and stealing your gear if you're walking busy streets. That was the selling point for me, anyway.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back