!st Rig

Dray1027

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just ordered my first rig, & I'm curious on what are some of the other accessories & gear a beginner needs? Camera is the Canon EOS Rebel T3i DSLR & 2 Lenses 18-55mm IS type II lens, & EF-S 75-300mm III lens.
Thanks in advance!

what are some of the other accessories & gear a beginner needs?

Depends how much money you got and what you want to do ;)

Common suggestions include:
1) 1 if not more books on how to do photography - Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson - The Digital Photography Book (1 through to 4) by Scot Kelby -- are popular starting options

2) Tripod - AVOID the ultra cheap ones - a manfrotto 190 set of legs with a regular 3 way or ball head is a good choice. Sometimes you can get good second hand tripods for a lot less (though often they'l lbe old heavy ones, but well made)

3) Basic cleaning kit including a natural air blower like a rocket blower.

4) Inspiration (sadly they don't yet sell this in the shops)

Well, that's a great start! Two lenses, 18-55 and 75-300, give a lot of range of focal lengths. As for accessories...a decent flash unit is nice for indoor work, and for lighting up many types of scenes both in the sunshine AND in the near-darkness. A decent, yet reasonably priced tripod is nice. A tripod can be a mixed blessing--a pain to carry at times, yes, but it can also be a huge asset. A tripod allows you to shoot slow-speed shots, timed exposures at night, and also can help you set up the camera, meter, and compose, and then take a photo, and review on the LCD screen, and make minor adjustments, to refine a composition.

In one way, a tripod is a BIG learning tool. It allows the user to do the timed exposures at night that are so fun, and allows you to shoot sharp, steady shots in marginal lighting conditions, like window-light still lifes, which are otherwise very difficult to do. I would look at the $100-$130 tripods on special from Adorama on-line, for example, as a place to start.

+1 on a decent tripod. They can seem pricey upfront, but you will get years and years worth of use out of it, and if you get the right set-up for your needs, it makes life a lot easier when it comes to needing it. Remember, just think of the upfront cost as an investment, versus an expense.

I agree with Derrel & Overread, 110%.

In addition to the excellent advice above, I recommend a good polarizing filter for out-door shooting, to enhance saturation and control reflection.

Great guys, thanks for the pointers!
Now for the all important question, were to shop for all of these fine pieces of equipment to find high quality gear that wont break the bank?

Great guys, thanks for the pointers!
Now for the all important question, were to shop for all of these fine pieces of equipment to find high quality gear that wont break the bank?

Not sure what you have in the way of brick and mortar stores near you, but there are certainly awesome deals to be had online. I know a LOT of folks lean towards B&H and Adorama. I have gotten some pretty fair deals through Cowboy Studios as well. If price is a concern, and you don't mind shopping used, your local Craigslist might offer up a lot of great gear to be had, for fair prices. Personally, I have had a GREAT deal of success w/ Craigslist, just know what you are looking for, know what things to look for that are "red flags" concerning the item you are trying to source, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Most reactions

Back