DSLR Beginner

Lunarpancake

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I have just upgraded (i hope) to an Olympus E-510. I've been having trouble with the camera taking pictures fast enough. The flash (even when I supposedly turn it off) takes forever to "allow" the camera to shoot. Most of the time I am in an outdoor environment and have the flash turned off anyways. However, the flash still tries to go off and the camera will not shoot until the flash does its jittery flashing cycle.

My fiancee has a Canon EOS DSLR and that thing is superfast and works fine.

Im begining to become disheartened and think I have a defective flash or camera or something, any help would be great!

Keep in mind i am a DSLR newbie!

Thanks!

What setting are you using on your camera for exposure mode ie P,S,A,M. I know Nikon and Canon have the "Green Box" mode that will not allow you to override the flash or do any other manual-type control of your camera. I do not know of Oly has a mode like this but it migh tbe a good place to start.

The built in pop-up flash usually recycles pretty slowly and can lock up the camera like that. That's what more powerful external flashes are for. But if you're outside and don't really need the flash then switching to one of the semi-auto modes (P/S/A/M) rather than full Auto ought to help.

BTW, curious as to why you'd go with Olympus if your fiancee already has a Canon DSLR? Do you already have a collection of Olympus lenses? If you were both on the same system you could share accessories, swap lenses, and not duplicate equipment.

The built in pop-up flash usually recycles pretty slowly and can lock up the camera like that. That's what more powerful external flashes are for. But if you're outside and don't really need the flash then switching to one of the semi-auto modes (P/S/A/M) rather than full Auto ought to help.

BTW, curious as to why you'd go with Olympus if your fiancee already has a Canon DSLR? Do you already have a collection of Olympus lenses? If you were both on the same system you could share accessories, swap lenses, and not duplicate equipment.

Its actually her sisters camera. She has the Canon Rebel (non dslr). The reason I went with the Olypmus is because the Canon felt too small and toy-ish in my hands. I wanted something bigger, plus I was able to get a good deal on the camera with two lenses for a good price.

Once I get home from work tonight I can post the information on setting ive been using on my camera.

The P A and S modes help a lot but it still seems to have a "lag" between me pressing the capture button and the camera actually taking the picture.

I don't know about any other cameras but Nikons....But there's a setting in the menu that deals with the auto-focus. You can set it to only take the picture when the camera "thinks" it's in focus, maybe that setting is off.

Or, do you have it on "flash red-eye"? It deals with red-eye by first emitting a light to constrict the pupil before it fires the flash to take the picture.

When I first started in the DSLR world I was using the auto modes and was frustrated because the damn flash kept wanting to work. But, if you use it "night" or "landscape" mode it won't do this. I would recommend playing with the settings and using it on the other modes. Go through the owner's manual and ALL of the menus.

I was just spit balling ideas, so I don't know if any of those will actually help.

As kidchill says, red eye flash can cause shutter lag. Put it on regular flash or turn the flash off altogether. Sorry, I can't provide instructions on how because I don't have an Olympus. Also, try manual focus. It reduces shutter lag a lot.

Most reactions

Back