DSLR - buy or borrow one first?

mail2rj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I have a Canon G10 which I am very happy with, but I am considering getting into the DSLR-business before this summer's vacation in Italy. I have two possibilities:

I can borrow my father's equipment (bought in 2008):
Olympus E510
Olympus 14-42mm, f/3,5-5,6
Olympus 70-300mm, f/4-5,6 (also has a sticker which says '140-600mm equiv')
Olympus 40-150mm, f/4-5,6

Or, I am considering buying the following:
Canon 60D house
Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
This would cost about $2700 in Norway where I live.

Of course, I realize that the latter equipment is much better, but my question is: Will I as a complete amateur be able to take better photos with the Canon right from the start, or is it advisable, before I go and spend a lot of money, that I try out the Olympus for a while, to see if I can get the hang of things with manual settings and so on. The decision is mine of course, but your insights would be much appreciated:) Thank U!

Regards
RJ, Norway

Borrow your fathers Olympus gear for a while. It may be the excuse he needs to pass it on to you, so he can buy a Nikon. :)

Being able to borrow some DSLR kit to try out sounds a good opportunity. As long as it can be insured for taking on your holidays.

If given the opportunity, I would borrow the gear, even if it's just for a couple hours.

You would be nuts not to borrow the camera. Even after borrowing it I would rent a 60D before buying it. Good luck and happy shooting!

Http://www.nakean.com

It is always nice to have your own equipment to learn and use how you want to. I would steer far from purchasing Olympus just due to the fact they do not hold value well. I found a review site I like Best Camera for Photography - Best Camera for photography
I would just figure out what you are really looking to use the camera for.

Most reactions

Back