DSLR Camera For a Beginner

Ya that's what I thought[emoji853], what kinda tripods do you recommend for landscape shooting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya that's what I thought[emoji853], what kinda tripods do you recommend for landscape shooting?

You can use the one you have to get started, but if you begin to notice "wiggleyness" at all, then you should start looking for something more sturdy. I have three tripods; a cheap lightweight one that fits in my bag, a medium-weight one that I can carry on short walks, and a heavy one that I would rather not carry very far.

You can start by reading something about them here: 10 Recommended Tripods for Photography

When you get the name and model of something, search for reviews and read them. Match your budget with the quality you seek.

Whats a good tripod brand? My dad has some older tripods but nothing amazing.
Manfroto, Giottos, Gitzo, Velbon, (and more).

My Gitzo legs support my weight, which is way more than any DSLR.

Thanks for the info! Ya I was looking at Gitzo's, all of them are so expensive, but I guess you pay for the quality! What kinda software do you use to edit your photos?

I have an iMac, so I chose Aperture for my editing software.

all I have at the moment on my Mac is IPhoto which isn't really the best, how do you like the software, do you recommend it for a beginner?

Buy a better tripod that you can afford. This time of the year is windy and rainy. You may need a heavy and weatherproof tripod. If you are planning to walk a lot in the city, park, or forest, you need light and sturdy tripod to carry. Get the one with the hook on the bottom so you can add a little more weight during this weather condition. Don't buy a compact tripod.

all I have at the moment on my Mac is IPhoto which isn't really the best, how do you like the software, do you recommend it for a beginner?
I could not stand iPhoto, so I don't use it. Aperture is fine for the normal editing, but Apple has discontinued support for it. I recommend Lightroom for the Mac. It costs about the same as Aperture, does similar editing, and is (so I've heard) is easier to learn than Photoshop.

Have you looked at the Sony A6000 kit? It should be around $548.00 and comes with a 16mm-50mm zoom kit lens. For for the price if has a lot of features and a good camera to grow on. Don't be afraid of mirrorless. I made the switch from Canon 7D to A6000.

Investigate the lenses! Once you get bitten you're going to want to shop for all kinds of lenses. Also, don't get hung up on a full-frame - the smaller sensors are doing some amazing things nowadays.

Ya I was also spotting around looking at the D7100 and the D7200 they look like a good starting point for someone like me. My total budget probably would be around 2000-2500 Canadian dollars. Anything lower then that would be fine as well because if I get serious I would wanna purchase a editing PC to help the editing process go a bit smoother. The lenses that come in the D7200 kit are they a good starting point or should I invest in a better lens? I'm not worried about tripods, my dad has a couple good ones that he said I could use.

-Cam

3 years ago I paid $2500 american for a D750 w/24-120 f/4. Now the same exact kit from B&H is $1795 american which is roughly $2350 canadian. I realize that this is close to the top of your budget but, this rig will keep you happy for a long time.

Nikon kit lenses (18-105 or 18-140) are quite good especially when bought with a body as they don't add to much to the overall cost. The d7100 or d7200 are very advanced in features. If they are a little to much in cost, the d5200/d5300/d5500 give as good image quality with less features at a much lower price point. To be fair landscape photography doesn't demand to much from the autofocus or speed (fps) of the camera, so it may be a good place to start (these cameras are no slouch in other areas either)

Thats a good point, I might have to take a look at those other cameras! But the D7100 and the D7200 are in a price range that I can fore see my self spending on a camera in the near future.

Im kinda confused here, what exactly makes a lens a good one? I was browsing the Nikon website and saw a 20,000$ lens! If I purchase one of these cameras i might wanna include another lens for other occasions, and I'm not sure why they are so expensive. Ya its a given i don't wanna cheap out on a good lens but I'm but wondering why they would be so pricey. One more question, what does a good lens do to the picture quality; and what would the difference be between a 800$ wide angle lens and say a 1800$ one be.

-Cam
A more expensive lens isn’t always “better” so much as it is faster, or a lower numerical maximum f stop.

Faster glass is more expensive and heavier, but other than an extra f stop it often won’t deliver better IQ.

For your price range I’m suggesting a NIKON D7200, MBD15 vertical grip, extra NIKON battery, NIKOR 18-300, NIKKOR 10-20, 2 memory cards and a basic bag to tote it around in.

I at first decided on the 7200 but now I have a 7500 on the way I got an ok deal on for the base. It really depends on what you want though, for me personally the quality of nature shots and close ups of animals or other people I saw on the 7200 just wasn't what I wanted but the 7500 was acceptable. Any steps up I didn't notice enough of a difference to spend that kind of money on. You should definitely invest in a tripod too, yeah you can get nice still pictures pointing and shooting but I found it takes multiple shots that will also not be the same exact view as each other without one. But if you want more control and precision, it's gonna be your best friend. I'm just starting off here myself but I learned enough just from trying it out indoors in various situations to say I think I got a general grip of it and now when it gets just a little warmer I'm ready to head out and give it a go for real and get this rolling.

Hi Cam,
I still remember the confusion when I bought my camera, and I have absolutely no regrets buying my first camera.

I bought a Canon 5d mark i and absolute love it, I bought it second hand before the mark ii had come out. Now they retail for around the £250 mark and still take incredible photos. The great thing about buying an old full frame camera is that you can upgrade it to a newer one when you have more money and your 35mm 50mm or 85mm lenses can be kept. You do not need to sell your lenses again when you change from a crop sensor to a full frame camera.

Canon and Nikon both make great cameras that should last well when bought second hand.

I hope this helps

Luke

Most reactions

Back