DSLR Camera For a Beginner

Cameron B

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys!! Im looking at getting into photography, and that involves me buying a better camera then what I have now (iPhone 5S) Im very confused on what camera to get and I would love your guys help! The Nikon D750 was the one i was looking at but it is a bit pricy for a first camera. Im looking at doing landscape photography because I find that land very intriguing and beautiful. What cameras do you guys recommend for a first timer!

Thanks in advance!!

-Cam

Well if you're looking at a d750 and its a bit expnsive, you are probably in luck, as you can do good for a lot cheaper. Remember lenses are important also.

If I was buying a landscape camera I would look at a nikon d7100 (its last years model as is going for a good price). It has a smller sensor than the d750, but at iso 100 (where generally one takes landscape shots), it has amazing image quality. I'd buy it with a kit lens 18-105, and extra I'd buy a tokina 11-16 f2.8, which is a fab wide angle landscape lens. Throw in a good tripod, a cable release and look into filters little, and you should be set up excellent for a little over half the price of a d750

As with all gear questions: What's your budget? Your TOTAL budget, because there's more to it than just a camera and lens(es); there's a tripod, filters, remote release, software... the list is limitless! All you really need to start with those is a basic camera and kit lens. Any Nikon, Canon, Pentax or other will do the job. I'm a Nikonian, so I'm N-biased, and would suggest a perhaps a D7100; look for factory refurbished units. They're a great way to save money.

Ya I was also spotting around looking at the D7100 and the D7200 they look like a good starting point for someone like me. My total budget probably would be around 2000-2500 Canadian dollars. Anything lower then that would be fine as well because if I get serious I would wanna purchase a editing PC to help the editing process go a bit smoother. The lenses that come in the D7200 kit are they a good starting point or should I invest in a better lens? I'm not worried about tripods, my dad has a couple good ones that he said I could use.

-Cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nikon kit lenses (18-105 or 18-140) are quite good especially when bought with a body as they don't add to much to the overall cost. The d7100 or d7200 are very advanced in features. If they are a little to much in cost, the d5200/d5300/d5500 give as good image quality with less features at a much lower price point. To be fair landscape photography doesn't demand to much from the autofocus or speed (fps) of the camera, so it may be a good place to start (these cameras are no slouch in other areas either)

Nikon kit lenses (18-105 or 18-140) are quite good especially when bought with a body as they don't add to much to the overall cost. The d7100 or d7200 are very advanced in features. If they are a little to much in cost, the d5200/d5300/d5500 give as good image quality with less features at a much lower price point. To be fair landscape photography doesn't demand to much from the autofocus or speed (fps) of the camera, so it may be a good place to start (these cameras are no slouch in other areas either)

Thats a good point, I might have to take a look at those other cameras! But the D7100 and the D7200 are in a price range that I can fore see my self spending on a camera in the near future.

Im kinda confused here, what exactly makes a lens a good one? I was browsing the Nikon website and saw a 20,000$ lens! If I purchase one of these cameras i might wanna include another lens for other occasions, and I'm not sure why they are so expensive. Ya its a given i don't wanna cheap out on a good lens but I'm but wondering why they would be so pricey. One more question, what does a good lens do to the picture quality; and what would the difference be between a 800$ wide angle lens and say a 1800$ one be.

-Cam

Better lenses have better image quality due better glass, or have bigger apertures allowing more light in, can be more expensive because of build, or loads of other variables

Better lenses have better image quality due better glass, or have bigger apertures allowing more light in, can be more expensive because of build, or loads of other variables

Ya thats what i thought, would you recommend higher end lenses for a beginner like me, or just stick with the kit lenses?

Well the kit lens is a do it all ok Jack of all trades one. Normally landscape guys I know use wide angle lenses, that's why I mentioned the tokina 11-16 f2.8, most reckon it's a very high quality lens for landscape.

I'd recommend a kit lens to anyone buying a camera. It gives them a wide range of ability, and in time if one needs to upgrade, having used a kit lens, you'd usually know what you need and what to upgrade to, instead of just randomly picking lenses. Also you may find the kit lens does all you need

Well the kit lens is a do it all ok Jack of all trades one. Normally landscape guys I know use wide angle lenses, that's why I mentioned the tokina 11-16 f2.8, most reckon it's a very high quality lens for landscape.

I'd recommend a kit lens to anyone buying a camera. It gives them a wide range of ability, and in time if one needs to upgrade, having used a kit lens, you'd usually know what you need and what to upgrade to, instead of just randomly picking lenses. Also you may find the kit lens does all you need

Ya I see, I'll probably just stick with the kit lens until I know what I'm doing with the hobby! Now moving onto filters, whats a company that makes good filters and filter mounts for Nikon wide angle and kit lenses; How exactly do they work and what would they be used for. I literally know nothing about filters so forgive me if i ask dumb questions :p

Ya I see, I'll probably just stick with the kit lens until I know what I'm doing with the hobby! Now moving onto filters, whats a company that makes good filters and filter mounts for Nikon wide angle and kit lenses; How exactly do they work and what would they be used for. I literally know nothing about filters so forgive me if i ask dumb questions :p
Go here: DSLR and HDSLR Cameras | Compare Digital Cameras | Nikon

Go to your comfort level of spending. Notice that they have a category called "entry level".

At the entry level, each of these cameras will come with a lens, and some retailers will bundle more things, possibly a second lens. While a second lens might be worth some extra cash, the rest of the stuff is merely fluff for the most part, so don't base your purchasing decision on how much extra "stuff" there is.

Re: filters; I wouldn't start thinking about filters just yet. Yes, there are some good filter manufacturers, but using filters is something that you sort of grow into, not something you need right away.

You might someday decide you want a polarizing filter, but a cheap one will cause more frustration that just forking over some dough for a good one.

You might also someday want some "neutral density" filters to lengthen the time the shutter is open, but as I said, that is for when you have some experience and know you really need one.

If you have extra cash to spend, get a tripod, because for some reason people don't think about spending money on a tripod, so if you do that now, you'll be ahead of the game. I recommend spending pretty good money on your tripod, so the one you get bundled with the kit will not count. Get a better one.

Go here: DSLR and HDSLR Cameras | Compare Digital Cameras | Nikon

Go to your comfort level of spending. Notice that they have a category called "entry level".

At the entry level, each of these cameras will come with a lens, and some retailers will bundle more things, possibly a second lens. While a second lens might be worth some extra cash, the rest of the stuff is merely fluff for the most part, so don't base your purchasing decision on how much extra "stuff" there is.

Re: filters; I wouldn't start thinking about filters just yet. Yes, there are some good filter manufacturers, but using filters is something that you sort of grow into, not something you need right away.

You might someday decide you want a polarizing filter, but a cheap one will cause more frustration that just forking over some dough for a good one.

You might also someday want some "neutral density" filters to lengthen the time the shutter is open, but as I said, that is for when you have some experience and know you really need one.

If you have extra cash to spend, get a tripod, because for some reason people don't think about spending money on a tripod, so if you do that now, you'll be ahead of the game. I recommend spending pretty good money on your tripod, so the one you get bundled with the kit will not count. Get a better one.

Thanks for the info! Whats a good tripod brand? My dad has some older tripods but nothing amazing.

9a1edc0ca8a48853cd157a2da04e07e1.jpg

275537fe4cee2d523821cca5b30bcc3f.jpg

It's just an older bushel tripod, it's fairly sturdy, but it doesn't have a good head, very little features like no screw in lift. I'm not even sure that you could mount a dslr on this sucka. I can't find the other one but its worse then this one for sure. A lot less sturdy and smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back