DSLR for Proofing a 4x5. Help!

samuelpeter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Alllllllright guys, where do I start? I've been shooting primarily with a Mamiya RB67, proofing with polaroid. I only resort to digital when I have to(i.e. fashion spreads). My semester is over (I'm a photo student) so I know have the liberty to be without a camera for a week to switch gear. I originally wanted a Mamiya 6 and a Shen-Hao 4x5 but now I'm thinking to get a DSLR instead of the M6. The digital now makes much more sense to avoid the high cost of polaroid film for 4x5.

I don't "do" Canon. I was going to pick up a D1 but then I read that the color rendering was weird but corrected in the D1h. Then I decided I'd spend a bit extra for the D1h to avoid the weird colors and now I found out that the slowest iso is 200! The fastest film that I shoot on a regular basis is 160 so that wouldn't really help me for proofing.

Most of my work is done at night, longer exposures(1-15 minutes), and right now I'm working on a series of light paintings.

Now that I'm done blabbering, my question to you, the knowledgable folk of thephotoforum, is "What are my options for a DLSR that are around or less than $500 used?" I'm picky about the feel of the camera, I want a tank(Hence me scouting a D1). HELP!

Do you take a polaroid for all your shots? I tend to only take one along with my meter reading. Then I adjust to my meter readings. This is for shots in similar light during the same day. I don't think I have ever taken more that 2 or 3 max during a day. If I have a really good scene I will bracket the picture anyway. I have not used a DSLR for proofing. Never thought of using it.

No, not all. Typically just my light paintings and other times when I dont have enough light to merit a meter reading.

I usually have to proof about 2 or 3 times for each shot to get what I'm looking for. It's just the nature of the technique. It has to be guessed and checked. Polaroid adds up in both money and time, so I thought this miiiight be a good idea.

Hi, can I just ask why you're after a 'tank'? That's limiting you quite a lot if you're looking to spend $500 or less.

Well, I suppose I should have made myself a little more clear. By "tank", I mean that I would like it to feel like a solid film body and not like a digital body. I need it to withstand a bit of harse nature and I would like to not have to constantly worry about breaking it.

hmmm. I'm not exactly sure if you'd be able to get a body for under $500, used or not. maybe a 300d or a d50. that's picking it pretty slim. honestly though, I'd pick a d50 over a d1 or d1h. those are pretty old cams and if I remember right their high ISO noise is out the roof.

Agreed. There's really no need to go for an older SLR just because it feels more solid - get a D50, and don't drop it :). Plastic bodies are more durable than people make them out to be, I don't think you'd need to constantly worry about breaking it unless you plan on constantly bouncing it off the ground.

Haha! Well maybe I do plan on that!

Thanks for your help, guys. I've decided on getting a D1x and still using polaroids when I have to.

Namaste.

-SPM

I don't think a digital image is going to give you an accurate picture of what you'd be getting on film anyway. There's no where near the same dynamic range.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back