DSLR for Videos? Old-time Dilema, Again.

Hello there. I am back from my trip and took a number of videos and stills with the Sony. As I was not in all my health after the procedure I only tried the basic settings for now. I will share a couple maybe later today. I got to admit I liked it in general but I kind feel i hate that I cannot take still while videoing. I know in documentary might not need this but in a rare shoot of a fast event or appearance you want to capture both at same time. I like the panorama option in stills was nice for city line at sunset.

I was checking these moire videos up. That does not look good. Yea. How bad is this in terms of controlling it?

I don't know how many times you'll need to take a still during a video... also, it disrupts your video.

YoYo is right-you can always "grab" a frame in editorial.....concentrate on your *video*...

It is so frusrating to work with HD video clips on my old laptop. I will son nee a higher capacty one. Just simy puttig the clips tgeer is taking forever!

Get a NEW laptop! They are sooo inexpensive and you need a computer that can keep up with your work..

Hello there. I am back from my trip and took a number of videos and stills with the Sony. As I was not in all my health after the procedure I only tried the basic settings for now. I will share a couple maybe later today. I got to admit I liked it in general but I kind feel i hate that I cannot take still while videoing. I know in documentary might not need this but in a rare shoot of a fast event or appearance you want to capture both at same time. I like the panorama option in stills was nice for city line at sunset.

I was checking these moire videos up. That does not look good. Yea. How bad is this in terms of controlling it?

I don't know how many times you'll need to take a still during a video... also, it disrupts your video.

TehYoyo, I missed this message before. Yes it could interrupt the video. I will only use it if the shot was kind of rare like spoting of wild animal and in family videos only. I love to camp and hike. So it is kind of nice to have the option of a still during video just for teh fun of it and definately not in professional or semi professional videos where I can grab a still in post, of course.

It is so frusrating to work with HD video clips on my old laptop. I will son nee a higher capacty one. Just simy puttig the clips tgeer is taking forever!

Get a NEW laptop! They are sooo inexpensive and you need a computer that can keep up with your work..

Sky38, thanks for the note on videos and stills which you reminded me i didn't reply to from TehYoyo :). I agree but just like to have teh option there and this is not at all the main reason for my desire to exchange the Sony for the GH2.

Laptop, aha, yes. Mind you, mine is not that old but I used it so much that it is almost sounding like it's couhjing and teh fan is so loud. It's an HP Pavilio with Win7. I am looking at saving up and getting a Mac. Big shift and thus I need to make sure I want that and I can also afford the higher capacity one, not the small one.

Last night, I (sadly but confidently) returned the Sony A57 and drove an hour to grab the last piece in my local store other branch of the GH2 as it's cheaper than the online prices I seen so far. It is a GH2H. I think the H at the end refers to the kit which means in this case the 14-140 lens. (?) Today will open it and try it out!!

Brunnerww, I need your help. What does the GH2 battery that came with your GH2 say? Does it say "Lumix Panasonic Battery Pack Model No. DMW-BLC12PP"? I checked online the original ones I seen say the same except at the end "E" not "PP"! The reason I am asking is that when I unboxed my camera, it was missing the battery and they just sent me one in courier. They were good enought to send it in 2 hours of my complain as I cannot do the drive again to their branch. Now the new battery was in a small black lumix box. There is nothing suspicious about the pack except that it did come in a professional box. I felt it might be not the oroginal, like those backup ones sold separately. Does this call for worry? Should I call them and inquire further? Also, is there a way to double check if the store did not sell me a floor model? The main branch said they have only floor models and that far branch is the only one that has a new boxed one and this is why I went to them. I am only getting paranoid now.

Added: I should add, besides my suspision regarding the battery, th elook of everything else is perfect. the camera is in its original clean slate settings and packing, actually.

I also found this after posting my question:

Customer Image Gallery for Panasonic DMW-BLC12 Lithium-Ion Battery for Panasonic Lumix®

What should I do?

Edited to add: Oops! I read the battery page in the manual now. It says "The battery that can be used with this unit is DMW-BLC12PP... The dedicated battery (DMW-BLC12PP) supports this function etc....". So I guess I should be fine with this one. Strange that link I pasted up here that says the "E" one is teh original and the "PP" one is teh one sold on Amazon. Maybe with my model/lens pack it is different or that's false info (?)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Not to worry, the battery that came with my brand new camera from a Canadian store was the DMW-BLC12PP. The spare battery I bought from Robert White in the UK (because I couldn't find one in North America) was a DMW-BLC12E. Both batteries work perfectly in my camera.

Congratulations on the new camera!

Bill

Not to worry, the battery that came with my brand new camera from a Canadian store was the DMW-BLC12PP. The spare battery I bought from Robert White in the UK (because I couldn't find one in North America) was a DMW-BLC12E. Both batteries work perfectly in my camera.

Congratulations on the new camera!

Bill

Oh thank you. This makes me more confident. The brochure and you :) You know I should just now shut up and shoot. Lol

I started experimenting with the gh2, I have to say I have a lot to read and explore. It is different and the terminology is different. I still cannot say my impression except that I like the small size. With the Sony I knew immidiately it is so nice to use and all but the issue was with video. Now I can't say yet the same about this one due to my lack of knowledge. I don't think it is as much user friendly as the Sony. Probablt once I know things will be better. One thing I noticed though the still has a very loud noise. Am I missing something? It also shakes when I click to take the photo. Is that the norm in the GH2?

There is no mirror noise, but the primary shutter is mechanical, not electronic like the GH3's.

The GH2 does use a silent electronic shutter in the 40fps low resolution burst mode, but, sadly, you cannot silence the standard mechanical shutter that it uses for high resolution stills. It should *not* shake, though...

Brunnerww, thank you. I see. I was actually reading in the morning about the GH3 and GH2 comparison and this came up but I didn't realize what it was until I tried to use it and now you mentioning it. It sounded kind of cool like old style cameras but after I thought this is loud and I cannot be invisible in certain situations. I am not sure if I can live with this or not yet. The shake is not exactly body shake; it is the mechanical movement of the shutter that causes it every time I snap a a still. I am finding this so annoying. Will read about it.

I submitted a separate thread to get tips on starting to use the GH2. I am in desperate need of help right now and would love to hear from actual users about their experiences with it first hand.

Thank you all who helped me in this thread while choosing a camera. Hope to still keep in touch on this forum.

Most reactions

Back