DSLR for Videos? Old-time Dilema, Again.

I don't know where you're finding evidence of the moire problem. Could you please post where you found that particular conclusion?

Please see the shimmering moire on the roofs at 0:50, 1:00, 1:15, etc. in this A57 test:

[video=vimeo;43985463]https://vimeo.com/43985463[/video]

Last edited:
...If you buy a SSM lens for your Sony A57, you won't hear a sound. The video that you posted was obviously shot with a low-quality or cheap lens.

Test of Sony SAL1650 f2.8 SSM lens - you can hear the AF motor, even outdoors:

Please contrast this with the AF motor of the Panasonic 14-140 in the test I ran in my studio. Very quiet - even indoors.

You can get around this problem with Alpha lenses with an external mic - but the first step in dealing with it is to recognize that it exists.

The moire challenge is a little more difficult to work around (although it can be done),

Best,

Bill

P.S. re-reading this, it sounds like I'm an A57 hater - I am not. It is a fabulous camera and I recommend it often to still/video shooters who emphasize stills over video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I was wrong - I had never heard anything of those issues before.

The moire is particularly bad. :(

Hello there. I am back from my trip and took a number of videos and stills with the Sony. As I was not in all my health after the procedure I only tried the basic settings for now. I will share a couple maybe later today. I got to admit I liked it in general but I kind feel i hate that I cannot take still while videoing. I know in documentary might not need this but in a rare shoot of a fast event or appearance you want to capture both at same time. I like the panorama option in stills was nice for city line at sunset.

I was checking these moire videos up. That does not look good. Yea. How bad is this in terms of controlling it?

It is so frusrating to work with HD video clips on my old laptop. I will son nee a higher capacty one. Just simy puttig the clips tgeer is taking forever!

Hello there. I am back from my trip and took a number of videos and stills with the Sony. As I was not in all my health after the procedure I only tried the basic settings for now. I will share a couple maybe later today. I got to admit I liked it in general but I kind feel i hate that I cannot take still while videoing. I know in documentary might not need this but in a rare shoot of a fast event or appearance you want to capture both at same time. I like the panorama option in stills was nice for city line at sunset.

I was checking these moire videos up. That does not look good. Yea. How bad is this in terms of controlling it?

I don't know how many times you'll need to take a still during a video... also, it disrupts your video.

Hi MidEastGal - look forward to seeing your first video! Not to beat a dead horse, but in Motion Picture Priority mode, the GH2 can capture 2MP stills whole recording video (with no interruption).

In Still Picture Priority mode,it captures 14MP stills while recording video (with a brief interruption).

Hope your procedure went well and that you feel better soon.

Bill

Here is the reference: DMC-GH2 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

Hi MidEastGal - look forward to seeing your first video! Not to beat a dead horse, but in Motion Picture Priority mode, the GH2 can capture 2MP stills whole recording video (with no interruption).

In Still Picture Priority mode,it captures 14MP stills while recording video (with a brief interruption).

Hope your procedure went well and that you feel better soon.

Bill

Here is the reference: DMC-GH2 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

So I assume that the GH2 is just taking a single frame, hence the 2MP size, yes? (1920*1080 = about 2MP)

That is correct. Good enough to pull a freeze frame to post online or attach to an email, but not something you would print and hang up on a wall :)

Ok, here is a link to the A57 video below. I just created this account for tests and it is private for public search. Here is the temporary password: Tests1984. The reason is that I don't think I did a fair test and I don't want people to judge camera is good or bad based on this. for you guys I can explain. First, I used only "auto settings", so lazy! Second, I was with a surgery wound (which went very well, thanks for the wishes up). Third, some of the shoots in the ocean are from behind the dirty glass of the sea bus and some night shoots are with high zoom and still not even night mode, and night scene of homeless by "male essentials" is from behind my hotel window glass with zoom-bad quality but nice moments). Fourth, I didn't include native audio or auto focus moments! I am kind of embarrassed from this video but anyways, could have been worse if I didn't try it at all after surgery. My thoughts briefly, I like the camera, has nice quality for color and low light, still and video. I didn't get to experiment a lot with settings. I liked the panorama (photo at beginning of video is an example). There are things I didn't like that I mentioned before: noise when zooming, not taking still while video, not compatible with flash lights or mics on upper shoe (will need adopter piece), not compatible with many common lenses (will need adopter), audio is not great (but same with many other cameras), and no touch screen (nicer to have the option). I will not comment further and wait your comments first. Mind you, I am still thinking whether I return it and exchange with the GH2 or not. Discussion is still on :) Video:
[video=vimeo;57621487]https://vimeo.com/57621487[/video]
(again, not a very honest reflection of the camera at all but did the job for me of trying the feel of it and am still trying it).

Last edited:
Question: Is $1200 a reasonable price for the GH2 body and 14-140 lens? (just asking to prepare for all my options)

Question: Is $1200 a reasonable price for the GH2 body and 14-140 lens? (just asking to prepare for all my options)

That's about right - and about $300 less than I paid for a new one from The Camera Store in Calgary 2 years ago. They don't depreciate very much.

Good luck!

Bill

Ok, here is a link to the A57 video below. I just created this account for tests and it is private for public search. Here is the temporary password: Tests1984. The reason is that I don't think I did a fair test and I don't want people to judge camera is good or bad based on this. for you guys I can explain. First, I used only "auto settings", so lazy! Second, I was with a surgery wound (which went very well, thanks for the wishes up). Third, some of the shoots in the ocean are from behind the dirty glass of the sea bus and some night shoots are with high zoom and still not even night mode, and night scene of homeless by "male essentials" is from behind my hotel window glass with zoom-bad quality but nice moments). Fourth, I didn't include native audio or auto focus moments! I am kind of embarrassed from this video but anyways, could have been worse if I didn't try it at all after surgery. My thoughts briefly, I like the camera, has nice quality for color and low light, still and video. I didn't get to experiment a lot with settings. I liked the panorama (photo at beginning of video is an example). There are things I didn't like that I mentioned before: noise when zooming, not taking still while video, not compatible with flash lights or mics on upper shoe (will need adopter piece), not compatible with many common lenses (will need adopter), audio is not great (but same with many other cameras), and no touch screen (nicer to have the option). I will not comment further and wait your comments first. Mind you, I am still thinking whether I return it and exchange with the GH2 or not. Discussion is still on :) Video:

(again, not a very honest reflection of the camera at all but did the job for me of trying the feel of it and am still trying it).

Great travel piece - some very interesting, artistic shots - nice music and a fast paced edit. Makes me want to visit BC! You're right - auto modes are not fair to any camera - but I liked the quality of most of the images - especially the shots of the food and vegetables - very nice Sony color. And the panoramic stills are very very cool.

But there was aliasing too (power lines above the buses at 0:35). That wan't your shooting style or the auto mode - that was the camera's downscaling process.

I would have no problem shooting video with this camera, and people have produced some great work with it. Only you can decide whether you can live with its limitations (no standard cold shoe, no touch screen, etc.).

All the best,

Bill

Most reactions

New Topics

Back