DSLR in full auto vs P&S in full auto

"People are skirting around the obvious. If you give a complete noob a DSLR and a P&S, the pictures from the DSLR will come out better 90% of the time."
What is this statement based on?

I think that he is trying to prove (for whatever reason) that his purchase of an entry level body with a kit lens, makes him superior to the P&S shooters... just based on his equipment! Poor logic!! But he does shoot a Sony..... maybe he feels he has to justify that choice? :)

Where did that come from? :confused: If that were the case I'd compare my sony to a P&S you moron.

If you aren't intelligent or mature enough to continue the debate without insulting people, then you should just do yourself and everyone else a favor and delete your account.

I have a good example for you. A close friend of my wife was hired to shoot a wedding with her Canon DSLR and a kit lens. She has been posting the images on facebook throughout the last 2 weeks since she shot it in a "Look what I can do" fashion. I promise you that I could have done better with my cell phone.

Equipment matters 1000%, but if you are shooting in auto... then you will not see much difference from a high end P&S vs a cheap DSLR w/ kit lens.

I think that he is trying to prove (for whatever reason) that his purchase of an entry level body with a kit lens, makes him superior to the P&S shooters... just based on his equipment! Poor logic!! But he does shoot a Sony..... maybe he feels he has to justify that choice? :)

Where did that come from? :confused: If that were the case I'd compare my sony to a P&S you moron.

If you aren't intelligent or mature enough to continue the debate without insulting people, then you should just do yourself and everyone else a favor and delete your account.

I have a good example for you. A close friend of my wife was hired to shoot a wedding with her Canon DSLR and a kit lens. She has been posting the images on facebook throughout the last 2 weeks since she shot it in a "Look what I can do" fashion. I promise you that I could have done better with my cell phone.

Equipment matters 1000%, but if you are shooting in auto... then you will not see much difference from a high end P&S vs a cheap DSLR w/ kit lens.

I've been trying to keep it civil. So it's ok for people to get off topic and attack me?

I think a top of the line P&S should be easier to take good pictures with than a DSLR on full auto. When you think about the design goals of each camera, they should be different. The P&S design goal is to produce a perfectly exposed and focused picture with a minimum of fuss. POINT and SHOOT. The design goal of a DSLR is to give the user more creative control. Which means control over exposure, DoF, and yes Focus and post production. The full auto settings are there for times when one is in a hurry and needs to just P&S.

I don't see any good reason for a person to buy a DSLR unless they are wanting to pursue photography as a hobby or profession. If all one is ever going to do is pick it up whenever they have the need to take a picture at their kid at a band concert or birthday party then they would be much better served with a good P&S. That is assuming the battery is charged and ready to go.

This is the wizardry mentality I was talking about. Auto on a DSLR is not for when people are in a hurry. It's for the millions of people with DSLR's that shoot in auto. :p You don't think that camera manufactures design DSLRs with the knowledge that many people will only use them in auto?

I would never shoot in auto if I was in a hurry. It takes all of 2 seconds to check WB and ISO if you're in a hurry, shouldn't have to set it to auto.

In a hurry for me usually means having things other than taking a picture to do at the same time. There are times when I am so overwhelmed by the BS of my job of being a HS band director that if I have to fool with settings on the camera, I probably won't bother with it at all. Having that AUTO setting gives me the freedom to do my job and still get the shots I need. I shoot all manual when I have the time. We are all different needs.

In a hurry for me usually means having things other than taking a picture to do at the same time. There are times when I am so overwhelmed by the BS of my job of being a HS band director that if I have to fool with settings on the camera, I probably won't bother with it at all. Having that AUTO setting gives me the freedom to do my job and still get the shots I need. I shoot all manual when I have the time. We are all different needs.

and that's great that that's available for you. Personally, I would never shoot in auto on purpose.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back