DSLR in full auto vs P&S in full auto

It still wouldn't matter.

And you know because you have 2 side by side comparisons of everything identical? Oh you don't? So then how could you possibly commit to a statement which you
have no factual evidence to back it up with?

The issue here is, too many people like yourself are committed to things they have no experience in, only because it is a commonly repeated statement. Also known as parroting.
Parroting information because you think it sounds right, vs actually having the real world experience to satisfy your argument are 2 totally different things.

Fact of the matter is, those 2 images that you shot could have easily been taken with both a DSLR and a point and shoot camera. To say that the things listed don't matter further prove your inexperience
and close mindedness. You are honestly telling me, that is the best image you can provide from a $400 camera?

I think the comparison results are valid on grounds of the above mentioned chromatic aberration. Better focus would not have corrected the issue.

People are skirting around the obvious. If you give a complete noob a DSLR and a P&S, the pictures from the DSLR will come out better 90% of the time.

BUT, that doesn't take away anything from someone that actually knows how to take a good photo!

I have a friend on FB with a Nikon D3100. When I got my A33 and started posting pictures she automatically thought my camera was leaps and bounds ahead of hers based on my photos.:er:

I had to tell her that our cameras are basically in the same class to which she replied, well then teach me! :lmao:

People are skirting around the obvious. If you give a complete noob a DSLR and a P&S, the pictures from the DSLR will come out better 90% of the time.

BUT, that doesn't take away anything from someone that actually knows how to take a good photo!

I still disagree...

Point & Shoots are purposely designed to allow any idiot to get good sharp colorful well exposed shots.

DLSR's by their very nature are designed to require some thought and knowledge and skills... (although admittedly full auto and program negate that statement somewhat)... and most kit lenses focus slower and less accurately then the P&S will... especially with an unskilled person driving it.

If you really want to argue with that statement.. Explain to me WHY we get so many totally CRAPPY pictures on here, from newbs shooting DSLR's in full auto and program in full AF? I think if you looked ( and if there a way to find the info) that the newbs with P&S's turn out better photos in general (exposure / focus wise.. not going to touch composition! lol!) than the newbs with DLSR's!

I still disagree...

Point & Shoots are purposely designed to allow any idiot to get good sharp colorful well exposed shots.

DLSR's by their very nature are designed to require some thought and knowledge and skills... (although admittedly full auto and program negate that statement somewhat)... and most kit lenses focus slower and less accurately then the P&S will... especially with an unskilled person driving it.

If you really want to argue with that statement.. Explain to me WHY we get so many totally CRAPPY pictures on here, from newbs shooting DSLR's in full auto and program in full AF? I think if you looked ( and if there a way to find the info) that the newbs with P&S's turn out better photos in general (exposure / focus wise.. not going to touch composition! lol!) than the newbs with DLSR's!

I never said if you give someone a DSLR they're all of a sudden going to produce amazing photos. :p I think by us saying DSLR's produce higher IQ pics than P&S's, makes you feel cheated.

But that's not the case which is why I posted about my friend on FB. We both have entry level DSLR's, but SHE thinks my Sony is better than her Nikon but you and I know that's not the case. There's a slight difference in IQ but not enough to make someone think one camera is flat out better than the other. She thought my camera was better because I took the time to learn how to use my camera and she still shoots in auto. Does that make sense?

I still disagree...

I never said if you give someone a DSLR they're all of a sudden going to produce amazing photos. :p I think by us saying DSLR's produce higher IQ pics than P&S's, makes you feel cheated.

But that's not the case which is why I posted about my friend on FB. We both have entry level DSLR's, but SHE thinks my Sony is better than her Nikon but you and I know that's not the case. There's a slight difference in IQ but not enough to make someone think one camera is flat out better than the other. She thought my camera was better because I took the time to learn how to use my camera and she still shoots in auto. Does that make sense?

Why would what you say make me feel cheated? I don't shoot a P&S..... and even when I did, my shots were superior to the majority of people I knew at that time, that were using DSLR's.

Not worth arguing with you about.. because you have made it very obvious that you are very close minded about this.... so have fun... :)

CHEATED? Hahaha.. you are funny!

I still disagree...

Why would what you say make me feel cheated? I don't shoot a P&S..... and even when I did, my shots were superior to the majority of people I knew at that time, that were using DSLR's.

Not worth arguing with you about.. because you have made it very obvious that you are very close minded about this.... so have fun... :)

Cheated because of the idea that joe shmoe can buy a DSLR and take better pictures than his neighbor joe blow. When in your mind, running a DSLR requires wizardry that only select few posses. ;)

Cheated because of the idea that joe shmoe can buy a DSLR and take better pictures than his neighbor joe blow. When in your mind, running a DSLR requires wizardry that only select few posses. ;)

based on your photos.. and the photos of all the other Shmoes on here... your case doesn't hold up...... :)

I think a top of the line P&S should be easier to take good pictures with than a DSLR on full auto. When you think about the design goals of each camera, they should be different. The P&S design goal is to produce a perfectly exposed and focused picture with a minimum of fuss. POINT and SHOOT. The design goal of a DSLR is to give the user more creative control. Which means control over exposure, DoF, and yes Focus and post production. The full auto settings are there for times when one is in a hurry and needs to just P&S.

I don't see any good reason for a person to buy a DSLR unless they are wanting to pursue photography as a hobby or profession. If all one is ever going to do is pick it up whenever they have the need to take a picture at their kid at a band concert or birthday party then they would be much better served with a good P&S. That is assuming the battery is charged and ready to go.

ConradM said:
What? The whole thread is about DSLR's vs P&S's in auto... :lmao:

I know.... An attempt at a comparison of two web images online for a discussion of image quality does not rely on a discussion of what mode the DSLR is in.

"People are skirting around the obvious. If you give a complete noob a DSLR and a P&S, the pictures from the DSLR will come out better 90% of the time."
What is this statement based on?

"People are skirting around the obvious. If you give a complete noob a DSLR and a P&S, the pictures from the DSLR will come out better 90% of the time."

I think that he is trying to prove (for whatever reason) that his purchase of an entry level body with a kit lens, makes him superior to the P&S shooters... just based on his equipment! Poor logic!! But he does shoot a Sony..... maybe he feels he has to justify that choice? :)

Boy, did this thread turn into a pissing match lol.

I would base this on my own personal experience. When I bought my 60D I noticed a very definite improvement over my pics on my Olympus Stylus Tough 14mp camera. The Oly is not a bridge by any stretch of the imagination, but is not a $100 P&S either. I now have a G12 that takes awesome pictures, but haven't done a direct comparison between the 2. I suppose I could if anyone is really interested but haven't bothered to yet.

That being said, my skill set has improved a bunch w/ both camera's and I no longer have the Oly. I dont consider myself a complete newbie any longer, but rather someone that has an understanding of the basics and is trying to further educate themself.

Experience.

I think that he is trying to prove (for whatever reason) that his purchase of an entry level body with a kit lens, makes him superior to the P&S shooters... just based on his equipment! Poor logic!! But he does shoot a Sony..... maybe he feels he has to justify that choice? :)

Where did that come from? :confused: If that were the case I'd compare my sony to a P&S you moron.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back