DSLR Recomendations

zbo2408

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am ready to move up from my Canon P&S PowerShot A95 to a Digital SLR Camera and I would appreciate recommendations.
I am a Radiographer and one of the guys I work with is a wedding photographer and he uses a 1D as his primary and a Rebel as his backup(not sure which rebel). He recommended I buy a rebel but we've been busy and haven't had the time to go into detail on what would be a good camera for me.
I am 90% loyal to Canon just because my parents have been using them since the AE-1 program way back in the day. I have been told in the past that its basically like a Coke vs Pepsi sort of situation...

So what I want... Really High ISO, Really Fast Shutter Speed, Integrated cleaning system, Image stabilization feature. I want a Macro Lense, a Tele Photo Lense, a Wide Angel lense, and a Polarized Filter...
Using that as a starting guide could ya'll make some suggestions for me please? For w/e reason comparing cameras on canon's site really doesn't help me very much...

Thanks for your help!

All I can say is that I hope you've got a lot of money! The rebel series should do you just fine in terms of quality, a lot of it is up to the lenses. For high ISO, all of the bodies will give you 1600+, but they can't all handle it well, especially the rebels, they handle it up to 400 or 800 sometimes. Shutter speed and cleaning system, XTi and XSi have the cleaning, not sure about the better bodies, shutter speed, they've got it. Uhh, image stabilization, its in the lenses, and it will cost you. You can get rebel kits with the 18-55 and 75-300, those should cover your wide angle and tele, not the best quality, but if you're just shooting family stuff or 'snapshots', they should suffice. Macro, I think you'll have to drop some money on that. Polarizers, I think they're around $100 (please correct me if I'm wrong). Hope this helps!

ok first off you are right in that much of the brand wars is selective - there are differences that will favour a certain use of photography, but only an experienced user will know and be able to exploit this to the fullest potential (mostly this is in lens ranges)..
Anyway first off the rebels are a good place to start - I personally would recomend going for the 400D - in US terms the second rebel modle and not the newest. If you have the money for the newest rebel then I would look to getting the 40D instead as it is a "better camera." The latest rebel has more megapixels, but no change to sensor - so photo quality is the same - and also as the file sizes are bigger a reduces frames per second count.
All the rebels have the intergrated cleaning system and can do fast shutter speeds and handle ISO noise to a good level (some say better than the nikon equivalents).
However image stabilization is only in the lenses - seen as IS on the lens description - and it does cost a bit - but it is well worth the expense if you are after it.
Now as to specific lenses we firstly really need to know how much you have to spend on this investment, without that we can't help much I am afraid. Also what do you want the camera to be able to do - what photos do you want to take? I ask this as a telephoto can be anything from 15-50mm to 100-400mm and that is a big difference in what you can and cannot take photos of.
edit - also for things like polerizers you really need to spend a little more to get good ones - especially if you are using lower end lenses as more glass means less light getting to the sensor

also what about tripods and flashes?

I am ready to move up from my Canon P&S PowerShot A95 to a Digital SLR Camera and I would appreciate recommendations.
I am a Radiographer and one of the guys I work with is a wedding photographer and he uses a 1D as his primary and a Rebel as his backup(not sure which rebel). He recommended I buy a rebel but we've been busy and haven't had the time to go into detail on what would be a good camera for me.
I am 90% loyal to Canon just because my parents have been using them since the AE-1 program way back in the day. I have been told in the past that its basically like a Coke vs Pepsi sort of situation...

So what I want... Really High ISO, Really Fast Shutter Speed, Integrated cleaning system, Image stabilization feature. I want a Macro Lense, a Tele Photo Lense, a Wide Angel lense, and a Polarized Filter...
Using that as a starting guide could ya'll make some suggestions for me please? For w/e reason comparing cameras on canon's site really doesn't help me very much...

Thanks for your help!

Go with Pepsi...err. Nevermind

Seriously, Canon and Nikon are neck and neck. I would recommend a Canon, though, so you can relate to your friend, and maybe borrow some of his gear once in a while :)

The Digital Rebels are really cool. They aren't an EOS 1D, but they have some of the BEST ISO performance for the dollar, they have 1/4000 shutter speed (which is good), and both the Rebel XT and XTi have a sensor cleaning function.

The lenses are where your IS will come in if you go with Canon. And there are a variety of good lenses, some with and some without IS. But that really depends on your budget. Some lenses out there will give you a wide angle and normal view (18-55), and for not much. But the pickier you are, the more you're gonna pay.

I hope I helped you out some. Remember it doesn't take thousands of dollars worth of equipment to be a good photographer. It takes skill, patience, and a good eye. The equipment can only help you out, it cannot take good photos for you :)

Here are the details of the sensor in the xsi:

12 megapixel CMOS sensor
The 450D features a new, 12.4 megapixel sensor. It has 12.2 million effective pixels. Further down the line, the A/D converter is capable of relaying 14 bit information to the camera's image processor or as a 14-bit RAW file. This should, in theory at least, offer smoother gradation steps in the final images.

and the link

Ok so my budget is flexible but I'm thinking somewhere around $2,000 is a max out $1,000-1,500 would be preferable.. I already have a really good Tri-Pod. I have an old flash from the AE-1 Program, don't know if it's compatible though. Flashes aren't high on my priority of things to get though.
Types of Photos I go to the BlueRidgeMountains every year and I want to be able to take stunning pictures instead of the... not very nice pictures I've been limited to w/ my P&S. I want to take Macro Shots of flowers, insects, water... etc. I want to take shots of the moon... I don't care about taking pictures of people or pictures inside anywhere. Something I would like to do is really really long exposures, like setting up a camera on a tripod and having long enough exposure that the stars are streaks... don't know if any camera in my price range can shoot for minutes though...
Also could ya'll offer links to lenses & cameras? I really appreciate all the responses, thanks ya'll.

Most reactions

Back