DSLR Sound Recording

FreestyleOutdoors

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just a quick video I threw together and didn't spend much time on as you can tell by the bad lighting, background, and being out of focus on one shot. The point of this video is sound though, and I show 5 ways of recording sound for DSLR(4 on camera, 1 off camera/2 sync and 3 non-sync). Just figured I would throw it together real quick and hopefully it helps out some.

You could also run a mic through a hacked iRig Pre and then into the H1 then into the camera. That will most likely be my next purchase and get me a little closer to h1 sound without syncing.

Please feel free to add ways that you record as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Good advice. Nice beard.

So to me the list of pros and cons for each way would be as follows

On Board mic
Pro- Easy to run and gun, Free, No syncing
Con- Terrible noise especially in silent moments, blows out very easy, hard to attach wind filter, no audio monitoring through headphones

VideoMic to Camera
Pro- Easy to run and gun, No syncing, less blowouts than on board mic
Con- Still Very noisy, no audio monitoring through headphones

Lav Mic to External Recorder
Pro- Great quality, low noise, audio monitoring through headphones possible
Con- Requires Syncing, not on camera, have to hide mic and recorder on talent

VideoMic to External Recorder
Pro- Great quality, low noise, audio monitoring through headphones possible, easy to run and gun
Con- Directional, requires syncing

VideoMic to External Recorder to Camera
Pro- Decent quality, no syncing, lower noise than just using camera preamps, easy to run and gun
Con- Directional, still has some noise especially in silent moments, no audio monitoring through headphones

Obviously you can get over the directional cons of using a shotgun mic by having a boom pole operator, but it's tough to run and gun like that, and impossible to do if you are a 1 person show

I use a wireless system and have the audio record with the video. I gave up on external and shotgun mics a long time ago.

I use a wireless system and have the audio record with the video. I gave up on external and shotgun mics a long time ago.
The only thing I worry about with that is signal interference. Other than that it's ideal

The only thing I worry about with that is signal interference. Other than that it's ideal

I haven't every really noticed an issue. The channel selection is so vast that there is always a free one.

Most reactions

Back