DSLR Upgrade (Casual Use)

vaxoxen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I've been looking to upgrade my old DSLR and really just wanted some advice.

I bought a Canon 1000D back in 2009 as my first DSLR and later on bought a Canon EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS Zoom Lens for it which has worked great for casual use over the years. However now I'd like a bit of an upgrade, without breaking the bank.

I've been looking at the Nikon D3300 which looks almost perfect for my needs, however from what I understand the Canon lens I bought previously would not fit the Nikon without also buying an adaptor (and even then, certain features may still not work). I really would like to know the specifics of this, as the information I was reading was very general, simply discussing Nikon bodies and Canon lenses, not these two particular match ups.

Would anyone be able to explain any limitations/complications with this? I don't particularly want to be buying more lenses as it really is only something I do for fun every now and then, so if this is a major issue it could be a deal-breaker and I may have to settle for the seemingly inferior, albeit slightly cheaper and still well reviewed, Canon equivalent the 1300D.

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

You are in a jam
The 1300D has such an old sensor in it that it is sad Canon is still uses it.
The Nikon D3300 does has a much better sensor.
But sadly there is no way to recommend you to use Canon lenses on a Nikon body.
Either do the whole system move and get Nikon lenses or get the old technology (albeit in a new body) and get the 1300D

the 55-250 is hardly an expensive lens. just sell it and move to Nikon.

Would anyone be able to explain any limitations/complications with this? I don't particularly want to be buying more lenses as it really is only something I do for fun every now and then, so if this is a major issue it could be a deal-breaker and I may have to settle for the seemingly inferior, albeit slightly cheaper and still well reviewed, Canon equivalent the 1300D.
It is impractical to try to adapt your lens to a different make of camera body. The best answer is to bite the bullet/suck it up and switch systems. You will be much happier in the long run. Get what you can for the new lens, and consider the difference as payment for a lesson learned. Sorry.

Different makes/manufacturers do things completely differently.
There are adapters but do not expect the same performance/features/ functions as sticking with the same brand.
Similar to wanting to take a BMW to a Chevy dealer for service, parts and fixing; or vice-versa.

If this is casual use - just for fun, then is the 1000D somehow not meeting your needs?

Also, is there a specific budget limit?

You can generally save money two ways...

1) Buy a "refurbished" camera instead of a "new" camera. Often there is no real difference (other than packaging). Once a camera has been purchased and returned ... it can no longer be sold as "new" even if there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. Regardless, the manufacturer will check out the camera and confirm everything is in perfect working order (and service anything if not in perfect working order), replace all the packaging (instruction manuals, cables, etc.) with new packaging, and then sell the refurbished camera with the same warranty that comes with a "new" camera. Basically you get the same product for a lower price. Both Canon and Nikon have a "refurbished" options.

Canon's "refurbished" section of the store is here: Canon Refurbished EOS Digital SLR Cameras | Canon Online Store

Nikon's "refurbished" is here: Refurbished Camera Products | Used Cameras, Lenses & Flashes | Nikon (although I do not see any refurbished D3xxx series cameras offered in their refurbished store.)

2) Buy the "body only" version of the camera. Most cameras are sold as the body + lens "kit". If you buy an updated Canon, then you could continue to use those same lenses and that would save you a bit of money. Some (but not all) Canon models can be purchased with kit lenses which use Canon's new "STM" (stepper motor) auto-focus motors. But these lenses generally have completely revamped optics and they're actually pretty impressive (and cheap). So while "new" kit lenses (if you get STM lenses) would be much sharper, you don't actually "need" to get new lenses... your original EF-S lenses will work and not buying new lenses would save you a bit of cash.

A Nikon D3300 would require that you also buy a lens (at least one). The basic body+lens kit is about $450.

Your Canon 1000D (sold in the US as the "Rebel XS") is a very old 10mp model. Sensors have come a long way since then with impressive boost to ISO performance and resolution.

For the same $450, you could upgrade to a refurbished Canon T5i (aka 700D) which would be a huge upgrade from your current body.

For around $300 you could upgrade to a refurbished 1300D (aka "Rebel T6") (but I don't see a "body only" version of that camera so that would include another 18-55mm lens.

Thanks for the replies guys

If this is casual use - just for fun, then is the 1000D somehow not meeting your needs?

It likely does meet my needs for the most part, yes. However I am into other tech/electronics so I understand how much technology can advance in a decade (the 1000D is almost there) and as you said yourself, sensors have come a long way since then. Another big pull for me is the video capabilities of the newer models. Video capture was only on the higher end models back when I got the 1000D, whereas now it seems to be on even the entry-level models, and it is something I would have liked to have had ever since getting a DSLR. Both of these points make it feel like it's a good time to get an upgrade, but I would also like to keep to a reasonably low budget as it is really a luxury item for me.

Also, is there a specific budget limit?

Around the £300 mark would be ideal. While currently priced higher, the D3300 + AF-P 18-55 VR Lens Kit has dropped as low as £275 through trusted sellers like Amazon on several occasions in the past year. I can wait for a better deal (it is currently priced around £340 at most stores), this discussion was just to get the information I needed to then make the potential purchase at a later date when the price is more ideal.

And thank you for the refurbished info/links. Unfortunately the respective UK stores don't appear to have refurbished sections, however I will definitely consider this option. Plenty of other reputable UK stores have refurbished goods so I will check those out.

The 1300D seems to be near the £300 mark for both body only and with a kit lens, so it is perfectly in my target price range, so it still a very good option. However I am still weighing up my options with switching to Nikon, as the D3300 does seems to be widely considered a much better camera. But as demonstrated, it is not ideal with my situation as a Canon user. So I need to think about that while I keep an eye on price drops.

Thanks for all your help

If I were you I wouldn't buy the D3400. I would save my money until I can at least afford the D810 (more like the D5) before I change brand.

To OP, you haven't much tied up with your system, and you probably got value from it. I'm assuming you also have the 18-55 kit lens. I could see the 1000d with both your lenses selling for near 200. Just sell them and buy the camera you want

Most reactions

New Topics

Back