DSLR video flat picture control (and lightroom 4k?)

Timppa

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi!

I read everywhere that I should make video on my DSLR at FLAT picture control with sharpness at 0 (I am using a D7500).
But honestly, I don't feel like editing my videos to much, I just make some nice home videos of the family and they do not need to be picture perfect.
I could do some basic edits, like what lightroom offers, clipping the video, bit highlights and colors, but then I cannot export in 4K apparently ? Is there another free software out there to help me with this?
Or what would be better in-camera settings so I don't have to edit at all?
And if I would choose for example the picture control 'landscape', should I still put my sharpness to 0?

Thank you in advance!

Hi Timppa,

I am fairly new on here, and if I am being honest, still very much learning when it comes to filmmaking myself, however, this is something I am playing around with at the moment, so perhaps I may be able to help a little, who knows!

so, my understanding is that, being recommended to shoot in a flat profile will hold on to more of the colour information, and details in shadows/highlights. It will never retain as much as shooting log, however, it will keep more than some of the other profiles, as the camera is making less decisions for you (I think). Now, the fact that you have said that, not only do you not want to edit, but also, it is just for home video (not client work), then personally, I don’t think it is essential for you to shoot flat.

Thinking of other profiles, I think the best bet maybe the ‘natural’ profile for what you are after. I will be honest, picture profiles are not my strong suite, however, for what you are after, I think this is pretty even across the board. You could get away with no editing at all, and at the same time, if you want to make some minor adjustments, that won’t hurt too.

software wise, I only use Lightroom for photos, so. It sure about the video export. For my video, I use premier pro which has
Lumetri colour. The ‘basic corrections’ section of this tool isn’t a million miles away from the Lightroom controls, however, it isn’t free (unless you are already paying for it. As you have Lightroom, premier pro is part of the complete cc package)

This is my first attempt at actually answering a post on here as apposed to asking one, so I do apologise if I have in fact made it more confusing for you

good luck

kieran

Hi!

Thank you for your reply, it is very insightful and a great help to me.
It was really annoying to google about good settings for video, and all results saying the same: flat and edit afterwards.

But what about the sharpness? Should I keep that low?
I currently do not own a TV to test a video on the big screen.

And I like the basic edits I can do with lightroom, not more in needed, but it frustrates me I cannot export in 4k.
I am already paying for lightroom/photoshop and I don't feel like paying more for premiere (rush). Because I edit so little with video.
I did like Rush when I had a free trial.
I found some free software that Is handy to stick videos together, but then it lacks the small editing like from lightroom.
But let me just try to film in 'natural', and see how things go :)

Thanks again !

I shoot 4K with a Sony Rx100iv and 2K with a cellphone. I don't change any of the sharpness in the camera or afterward when I edit. I use Adobe Premiere Elements to handle my video. You can purchase it outright on a perpetual license for $70. I display my shows on a 75" Sony 4K TV. Looks great.

Lightroom does not edit video. I do use Lightroom to edit stills which I then add to video shows so that the end video can have stills and short video clips. Here is an example I downloaded to YouTube. It was shot in 2K not 4K, and with a Samsung S7 cellphone. But you'll get the idea. You can see it on your monitor, cellphone, or TV when you get one. Sharpness with video does not work as stills do. Because you're looking at many frames per second, one frame kind of blends into the next. I'd just let the camera video the scene normally and leave sharpness alone.

Thanks for the info and nice video :)
I was just reading about sharpness, that it can really affect when you check the video on a TV for example. I'll just keep standard for now.

Most reactions

Back