Ducks/Geese In Action (baby ducks, you know you want to look)

adversus

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.adversus.us
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
More shots taken today at one of our local parks.

Focus was auto (I was being lazy at this point in the day). Looking for any feedback regarding composition or technical aspects. Trying to get better :)

#1:
4593296051_bf9a86b80a_b.jpg

#2:
4593243007_9cdd42a41b_b.jpg

#3:
4593260631_578abc6f4a_b.jpg

#4:
4593868118_cdf5a6e70e_b.jpg

Tons more on my flickr under the Animals set. I took 734 shots today :/

I really like the shimmering bokeh from the water on the right in #1.

#2 came together really nicely to have all 3 of their heads in focus.

The light on #4 wasn't really friendly with you. The bright highlights behind the duck kinda distract and his (her?) face is in shadow.. but I love the colors on the bird, the sharpness of the wings and the water splash. If you could brighten up his head in PP that'd be nice.

Not digging #3 so much. Not sure about the tilt or the space on the right (although the blur is pretty there). Maybe I'd crop it in some, chopping off the right side and making it a standard frame's dimensions.

Good pics though.

#1 is my favorite. It turned out really sharp, I am tempted to crop it more and get a nice closeup of the water flowing it's beak.

#4: I had a lot of results like this today :( I may try to lighten it up in PP, thanks for the tip.

#3: I de-tilted a bit already, this guy was actually peeking down the bank where I was sitting next to the water, checking me out. I didn't see him until he was a few feet away.

#4: I had a lot of results like this today :( I may try to lighten it up in PP, thanks for the tip.

Backlighting... it's had a negative effect on my shots as well. Not much you can do with the ducks.. not like they're gonna pose in front of a reflector.

I like 1-3 the most, 4, yeah the lighting is off, but the content isn't very interesting to me either.

#1: This one made me say "damn!" It's a super strong shot, love the open eye. Everything is really beautiful, the water, the sharpness, and exposure. :thumbup:

#2: I think the lighting could have been better, I would've liked to see some highlights on them. But I like how they seem very large (or maybe they are! lol) The low angle gives us the perspective of their large bodies and little legs. I like how you caught them in stop action, looks like they're coming to jump me! :lol: mob ducklings. I would also crop that blurred out tree (?) on the left.

#3: Although it's not as interesting as 1&2, I like it because it has some personality to it. It's like the goose is saying 'what's gooooddd, fool?' Haha, maybe it's just the way I see it. Otherwise, the green DoF is luscious, but I'm not feeling the composition and the missing body of the goose.

#4: The lighting didn't work for you, but others already said that. The blue/black head swallows the eye and the body is covered in shadow. Backlight'll do that to you, though.

I love them ALL, with the last one being my least favorite.

#1 is the money shot though, I love everything about it. The expression, focus, shutterspeed, bokeh in water ... just EVERY thing. Congrats.

#2 just cracks me up in general. The mafia baby ducks lol. Also, their legs remind me of mini T-rex legs (random, but its what I thought lol)

Thanks all!

The reason I took so many shots is that I was trying to get shots of them doing something other than just floating around (landing, flapping, fighting, etc). I did capture some, but I didn't like the lighting on most of them (and some weren't as sharp) but I'll post more of those. I had the camera in continuous mode nearly the entire day.

#1 is by far my favorite, I actually have 3 in a row of him in similar poses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back