Dumb question about flash

It will come down to what do you want to do?

1. I want to shoot with e-TTl flash and the flash will be my only source of light. Camera settings don't matter much because the flash will do all the figuring. Set your camera to ISO 100, 1/125 f/8 Flash on E-TTL. fire. done

2. I want to mix Flash with the ambient light in the room and still use E-TTl. Use your camera meter to expose for the ambient light. This will mean a higher ISO and a wider aperture. Keep your Shutter speed around 1/100. Meter the ambient and set your camera for that. The flash will automatically set it's power for your subject. Fire. Done

3. I want to mix ambient light and flash and use manual flash control. Set your camera as above and meter and set it the same way. Now instead of E-TTL set your flash to Manual and adjust the power up and down on the flash till you get a good mix of Flash To ambient. A flash meter helps here but you can do it by trial and error. This is a more consitant way to shoot but more work because the power of the flash will change as your distance to subject changes. Fire done

I'm trying to remember where I saw a video that broke down flash use, including high speed sync. Went into depth about how high speed sync reduces flash output, and the relationship between aperture and exposure with flash. I believe it even showed them using a longer shutter and stopping motion with flash. Just practice like crazy!

Hey that'd be awesome if you do remember that video! :) Thanks for the help guys! always appreicated. Today is my day off so I'm going to experiment with some stuff (non moving things lol) and see what kind of results I can get.

Its just driving me nuts b/c I'm rather a prefectionist and this is just boggling me.... Like I said I think I'm overthinking it.

Yup thats so true Keith...

I have the manual out for both camera and flash and am going thru that stuff today :) Reading strobist and just doing some experimenting. Can only get better I say

I, too, would love to see a video that explains the uses and / or when you might need to use High Speed Sync.
One reason I am curious about that topic is that I am considering the purchase of a YN-565EX.
The only thing it lacks (versus the 580EXII) is the HSS option.
Thanks

Scott

Last edited:
I, too, would love to see a video that explains the uses and / or when you mighr need to use High Speed Sync.
One reason I am curious about that topic is that I am considering the purchase of a YN-565EX.
The only thing it lacks (versus the 580EXII) is the HSS option.
Thanks

Scott

It's also much less powerful than the 580...

All of the Yongnuo published guide numbers are a bit exaggerated.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back