Dumb question about flash

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have not necissarily mastered the art of the exposure triangle such as a pro would but I have a very firm grip on it. When I use my camera I would say 85% of the time I am able to capture what I want in manual mode right off the bat now, which I am super extatic (sp) about that....

I am ready to take the plunge into understanding flash. I know when you add flash everything kind of changes doesn't it? I want to be able to know what I'm doing and not guess it.

So in the end I have a couple of questions.....
How do I properly apply what I know about the exposure traingle while using flash?
Do yal have any good reads or websites that would help?

I ask all these questions b/c I was just playing around with it in the kitchen yesterday b/c my son and I cooked home made lasgana and he had done something funny and I photographed him. I then decided b/c it was almost dark out that I wanted to try with flash. I thought by adding flash I could lower my iso to reduce noise but still keep my shutter speed higher? I was wrong it looked like... It didn't look like a properly exposed photo. It seemed over exposed or it could have been b/c the flash was just harsh (pop up flash)

Well thanks for looking over this! I appreciate yal very much so!

Pop-up flash will nearly always appear harsh when it is the primary light source, at least that has been my experience. Not as bad when it's used for fill flash. Regardless I normally wind up increasing the warmth in post processing to get rid of the cold, light-blasted appearance.

The use of a diffuser will help a great deal. Using a flash other than the pop-up that can be bounced from a ceiling or wall will help a great deal. Basically, using any flash other than the pop-up flash will help a great deal.

Yea I know that about the flash. I have a nice flash and a nice diffuser but we were just playing around makng dinner.

Popup flash is one of those pieces of gear that work has very narrow use and as noted above, its quality isn't the best. Adding a flash gun (especially with rotating head) adds a lot more flavor to your image.
Once you set the ISO you feel comfortable with, you control your ambient light using your shutter speed. When flash is manual mode, (i.e. at 1/4 power) you can control the amount of light damage flash does using your aperture - all of this regardless of what your camera's metering mode is set to. When the flash is any of the auto modes, its a different story and you must take into account the metering mode as the flash output, in ttl for example, will vary according to what camera thinks it needs to put out.

Thanks Igs!

So I think its time I bust out my manual for my flash! That'll be a good first step. Even just goofing around the house Im just going to keep my 430 ex ii flash on the camera :) That way I can use it in the "random" fun things with my son.

So another dumb question? how do I go picking what would be the most suitable iso? MY ANSWER IS: Take a shot with each ISO and experiment. Thus I can see what would work best. Then take shot that I want?

It helped me to learn the exposure triangle by experimenting in TV and AV. I know everyone learns differently. Maybe that would be a good start for me with adding flash

So if my camera is wide open then the light damage shouldn't be as bad?

I genearlly don't use the auto modes. Now that I'm doing well with the triangle I've stayed in manual BUT now that I'm learning some things again I'm gonna go back to av and tv. Very rarely do I use auto, generally only for snap shot stuff.

I'd recommend reading Lighting 101 over at Strobist. He has a really good bottom up explanation of how to balance light levels and make decisions about aperture and shutter speed and lots of other stuff.

The light meter in the camera is essentially useless for flash, because the duration of the flash of light is so very short.

As IgsEMT pointed out, when using flash you control ambient light with the shutter speed, and you control the strobed light (flash) with the lens aperture and/or flash power setting.

It doesn't take long to develope a feel for controlling the 2 exposures with a single shutter release.

You also have to be aware of your camera's x-sync shutter speed.

You're welcome.
I use actively 3 cameras now, two are 99% of the time for work and 3rd one for all around stuff. The all around is out on the shelf w/in the reach - never know what kids would do and since it does video as well, its 2 for the price of one. So no shame of keeping your gear accessible.
Good Luck

I'd recommend reading Lighting 101 over at Strobist. He has a really good bottom up explanation of how to balance light levels and make decisions about aperture and shutter speed and lots of other stuff.

Great tutorial they have there. I recently read through it and it was very helpful. I learned about snooting.

Great tutorial they have there. I recently read through it and it was very helpful. I learned about snooting.

Since you mentioned snoots, 7-11 have reusable plastic mugs that are amazing snoot. You cut the bottom out, cut a hole in the cap, set it on to your flash and fire away. I was skeptical at first (being that the insides are reflective black) but after I tried it, LOVED IT. Works great as a hair light, accent light or just something funky.

Just one correction
When Mixing Flash with Ambient
Shutter speed only affects Ambient light
Aperture affects BOTH Ambient exposure and Flash Exposure
Flash Power (in manual flash) affects only flash/subject exposure

In a situation where Flash is the only source of light, Then aperture/flash power will affect the exposure and shutter speed has no real effect since the flash in effect provides it own Shutter Speed (Duration)

Also with a flash mounted on the camera the camera's shutter speed will be max'd at sync automatically. (It won't allow you to shoot higher)Unless High speed sync
is enabled
But theis is why you MUST have you Flash Turned on when you set your ambient exposure in Manual. If you set your exposure for ambient with the flash off and choose say f/2.8 1/500 and THEN you turn on the flash it will set it to Max Sybc (say 1/250) and you ambient exposure will be off

You also must decide if you are going to do TTL Flash or manual flash, They realy are done quite differently

Hahaha yea i think I'm gonna sell it and call it quits rofl! Jk!!!!

It is a lot to try to grasp I think I might just be over thinking it. Or under who knows....

So I still meter like usual? But use flash....
I know this sounds stupid but long day at work and brain is dead right now. Lol.

Most reactions

Back