Dumb questions based on the Canon 7D manual...

jedirunner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, yeah, I'm finally reading the manual from Canon, and I have a couple very pre-noob questions:
  1. The manual calls out a particular lens (EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM) stating that the IS isn't very stable for panned shots. Is it really just for this lens? or should IS generally be turned off for panned shots on any lens?
  2. The manual calls out that IS shouldn't be used for moving subjects. Sounds pretty clear, but I wanted to find out if you all are in the habit of turning off IS for non-posed shots in general.
Thanks for any comments on those. :)

(And I'll try to keep any other questions based on the manual to this thread so I don't start too many dumb threads like this)

Kevin

1. That is an older lens, possible the first one to actually have IS. The IS is designed to control small movements in both horizontal and vertical directions. So if you are deliberately moving the lens (panning) it will cause problems for the IS and it maybe actually give you blurrier shots. Newer lenses with IS, will have mode 1 and mode 2. Mode 2 only stabilizes on one axis, so that you can use it while panning.

2. It's not that IS shouldn't be used for moving subjects....it's that IS won't do anything to help get sharper shots of moving subjects. It only helps control the movement of the lens and obviously can't do anything about moving subjects. You still need a fast shutter speed to freeze moving subjects.

Also, if you are using the camera on a tripod (or otherwise not touching/holding it while shooting) then you should turn the IS off, otherwise it could induce it's own movement of the lens and cause blur.

1. That is an older lens, possible the first one to actually have IS. The IS is designed to control small movements in both horizontal and vertical directions. So if you are deliberately moving the lens (panning) it will cause problems for the IS and it maybe actually give you blurrier shots. Newer lenses with IS, will have mode 1 and mode 2. Mode 2 only stabilizes on one axis, so that you can use it while panning.

2. It's not that IS shouldn't be used for moving subjects....it's that IS won't do anything to help get sharper shots of moving subjects. It only helps control the movement of the lens and obviously can't do anything about moving subjects. You still need a fast shutter speed to freeze moving subjects.

Also, if you are using the camera on a tripod (or otherwise not touching/holding it while shooting) then you should turn the IS off, otherwise it could induce it's own movement of the lens and cause blur.

Gotcha. thanks much.

Kevin

Take time to let that statement burn into your brain. I can't tell you how many times I've done long exposure night time shots and was banging my head on the wall because I couldn't get anything sharp, only to remember that I had left the IS on. :)

Most reactions

Back