Dust on Sensor?

stittly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been lurking for awhile here, but this morning I finally had cause to sign up.

Well, I received a Nikon d40 for Christmas and couldn't be happier with it except that a dark blob is showing up in all my pictures. I'm guessing that it is a spec of dust on the sensor, seeing as I switched between my 18-55mm and 55-200mm and it was still there.

So my question is: should I call Nikon about this? - I mean its a brand new camera and it already has dust in it - or should I just take it to a camera shop ( I know we have a Wolf Camera in the mall) and have them look at it? Any idea on how much it would cost to clean the sensor?

Thanks a lot and Happy Holidays!
Craig

Dust on sensors are the bane of digital photography. On occassion they even come with it on the sensor. It is easy to get off with a bulb blower. I just point my camera down and, lock the mirror up. Then I use the blower to get it off. Do not use compressed air, it will leave an oily residue on the sensor. If you dont have an ear blower what works is the ear cleaning kit bulds. They cost like $5. Where did you buy the camera? If online then Wplf will charge you but, Im not sure how much. If you bought it there then it should cost nothing. Also when changing lenses it is best to have the body tilted down, it helps.

the dust problem is overrated as it is easily solved.

- try a spackgrabber,
- the copperhill approach
- sensor swabs
- or an arctic butterfly

ear cleaning kit buds, however, are the best way to get scratches on the sensor

blowers only work for easy dust in an almost dust-free surroundings IMHO.
they are totally useless for sticky dust (the sort of dust I usually get ;) )

ear cleaning kit buds, however, are the best way to get scratches on the sensor

blowers only work for easy dust in an almost dust-free surroundings IMHO.
quote]
Only if you stick it on the sensor filter. I find most dust to not be stuck on. But I live in an arid region of the country. But if you are not comfortable with cleaning it yourself take it in.

Only if you stick it on the sensor filter. I find most dust to not be stuck on. But I live in an arid region of the country.

true, didn't realise you were suggesting it for the mirror box and all. there they work totally fine.

there are people who use it on their sensor (/filter), and some did regret by now ;)

The worst for me are usually pollen + slight humidity. no way to blow them off and even with contact methods it sometimes needs more than one attempt.

Yeah humidity has a nasty habit of making minor dut into sticky blobs. I live in Arizona so we are generally dry here and, dont have the sticky dust problem.

Thanks for the answers guys! Yesterday I locked the mirror up and just blew out the dust with a kitchen squirter thingy(?) and it's all good. I'll have to look into getting a bigger hand blower and sensor cleaning supplies.

Also, I was looking for a cover for the LCD screen on the back of my D40. I know my uncle has one for his D200. It is just a plastic piece that covers up the screen so that it doesn't get all grimy and nasty. Anyone know where I can find one of these?

Thanks,
Craig

Thanks for the answers guys! Yesterday I locked the mirror up and just blew out the dust with a kitchen squirter thingy(?) and it's all good. I'll have to look into getting a bigger hand blower and sensor cleaning supplies.

Also, I was looking for a cover for the LCD screen on the back of my D40. I know my uncle has one for his D200. It is just a plastic piece that covers up the screen so that it doesn't get all grimy and nasty. Anyone know where I can find one of these?

Thanks,
Craig
i stole mine from my daughter It is used from her Nintendo ds It fits perfectly on my lcd I think I bought it at Wally world

Most reactions

New Topics

Back