Dx lens on Fx Camera Need Help

Johnmash1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi

I have my Nikon D5100 camera Dx lenses, if i use them on a Nikon D750 full frame camera, would it be any different regarding image quality,sharpness, size..... ??

I'm not a Nikon used but have used a variety of Canon EF lenses on both crop and ff bodies and the IQ has been fine. I assume Nikons DX and FX lenses are similar to Canons EF and EFS lenses (albeit EFS won't fit ff bodies I believe).

You will get dark corners or a cropped image.

The image area of a DX lens is designed to cover the smaller APS-C sensor in a DX camera not the larger sensor in a full frame FX. You could end up with blank areas around the edges of the photo. That's the theory anyway.

The 750 has the DX mode with allows for shooting a DX lens on it without the dark circle.

https://download.nikonimglib.com/archive3/zfZiH00gS82A04CSS4P024qk3H46/D750FM_DL(En)05.pdf

upload_2021-4-1_8-8-2.png

I don't know about the 750, but my D800 shows an outline of the DX frame in the viewfinder when a DX lens is fitted. The resolution of the DX frame it produces is very marginally less than I get on my D7200, but the low-light (or high-ISO) performance of the D800 is so much superior to the D7200.

If you have auto-crop set, you don't get dark corners with a DX lens, you get a smaller image file, cropped to the limits of a DX-sized section of the sensor.

The 750 can be set to automatically switch to DX mode when a DX lens is attached, so the image will be as if you are using a DX camera. As far as IQ, you will be using the center of the lens so many edge-related distortions will likely not be there.

.... As far as IQ, you will be using the center of the lens so many edge-related distortions will likely not be there.

You've got that backwards. Using a DX lens on an FX body in DX mode doesn't use 'the center' of the lens any less than a DX body with a DX lens. In such a configuration, all you're doing is cropping out the part of the image sensor that is vignetted by the smaller projected image of a DX lens.

Using an FX lens on a DX body (or an FX body in DX mode) does 'use the center' of the lens.

You’re right, got them mixed up.

it won't work well ... of course you could use a workarounds and crutches (like forced DX mode on FX camera) but in general, using cheap DX lenses on decent FX camera is like using in your Ferrari a secondhand 60kW engine bought from scrapyard because original engine died ..

This is what you'll see, but as others have suggested, put the D750 in DX mode and shoot away You will be throwing away pixels and eventually want to trade in your DX glass for FX glass to get the detail that comes with the full resolution of the sensor.

DX 50mm.jpg

This is what you'll see, but as others have suggested, put the D750 in DX mode and shoot away You will be throwing away pixels and eventually want to trade in your DX glass for FX glass to get the detail that comes with the full resolution of the sensor.

View attachment 205413

if you'll draw the cross in the middle of the photo it will be very artistic

I disagree with the statement about using a DX lens being akin to using a second-hand engine from a Pinto or something in your Ferrari. DX kit lenses are less than stellar, but there are some very good DX lenses out there. I'm rather fond of my DX 10-24, for example. Put the camera in auto-DX and enjoy. You give up nothing but a few megapixels. Take Strodav's image above and crop it to remove the dark corners, and you'll have exactly what the D750 in DX mode would have given you. Just watch that outline in the viewfinder, and stay aware of the edges of your frame while in DX mode.

@wfooshee if I say DX lenses on FX camera is nonsense and you say that you love your 10-24 DX lens and that everybody using that on FX body can use it in DX mode you're diluting what I am saying, the issue is not with (your beloved 10-24 mm) DX lens on FX body when you crop that (or when you enforce a DX mode), the issue is that DX lenses suck on FX bodies because you cannot use them without crutch and tape ... what is next ? if I'd have my lens scratched on the side you could say it's OK, just crop the picture and cut the side with artifact off ..

and yes, that example with ferrari and broken engine was meant to be expressive and entertaining ...

The DX 10-24 on my D800 is not "crutch and tape." The D800 in DX mode is only very slightly shy of the resolution my D7200 gives, and has much better low-light capability (as most full-frame cameras do.) ISO 3200 is completely usable on the D800, where ISO 800 is just nasty on the D7200. As said in another thread, "Get the photo." So if I find myself in tight quarters in low light, I have no problem whatsoever putting the 10-24 on my D800, and getting phenomenal images that I'd never get with the D7200. The 28mm f:1.8 might be a better choice in that situation, but I don't happen to have one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back