DX users.... 17-55 2.8 or 24-70 2.8?

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have just sold my 70-200 with the intent of getting a shorter zoom. My initial thought was 17-55 2.8 but the only thing that is holding me back would be the possibility of going full frame. But, I don't even know when of IF that will happen. I am just looking to get a little feedback from the people that use either.

If you have the 24-70, do you wish you had more room on the short end?

I've got a 17-55 and the focal length range is great. I have a 24mm D fixed lens, which is close to a 35mm equivalent and just judging from that, a 24-70 wouldn't be wide enough for what I like to shoot with digital.

I also figure that if I really need that extra 15mm in zoom, I could just crop in on the edit. But, you cant uncrop and zoom out in an edit. Sometimes you just can't back up anymore.

I chose a 24-70 over a 17-55 but mainly because I rarely shoot scenery and also it's easy to pick up a cheap wide angle. I do mainly portraits so the extra zoom is nice and I also plan to upgrade to full frame in the future so the 24-70 is beautiful on a full frame camera!

"going full frame" - all the cool kids are doing it. 17-55 provides a similar FOV on a crop body as the 24-70 on a FF. If it were me, I'd get a used 17-55 and then sell it IF the day came where I 'went full frame'. You won't take much of a hit, if at all, buying used.

I chose 24-70. I wish it was a bit longer. When I need wide angle I put on my tokina 11-16. You should really look at what you are shooting and past pictures to find the most useful focal length for you.

17mm I'm bummin cause I can't get the right shots.

As much as I preferred using 24-70 on the dx, there were times when 24mm was too tight for me and wish I had, at that moment, my 17-55 w/ me. On the same note, when using 24-70 on Dx body, it was PERFECT for portrait work and I didn't have the need to swap glass.

"going full frame" - all the cool kids are doing it. 17-55 provides a similar FOV on a crop body as the 24-70 on a FF. If it were me, I'd get a used 17-55 and then sell it IF the day came where I 'went full frame'. You won't take much of a hit, if at all, buying used.

50mm is 50mm no matter what "view" we have, but not a similar image. If you're shooting people its best to stay above 50mm unless they are silly skinny and you want them to pudge no matter crop job or not.

when i had my D7000 crop i shot a 24-70 and 90% of the time it was at the longer end. I shoot more people that landscape, and even landscape I like the compression of the longer lens over the distortion

I usually hate when I post these kinds of threads. Mostly because they just confuse me more so than before I started. But you guys have just about convinced me to go 24-70. I mostly shoot senior portrait, but I wanted something that would almost double as a walk around lens. But even still on my 18-105 kit lens, I find myself rarely shooting at 18mm.

I usually hate when I post these kinds of threads. Mostly because they just confuse me more so than before I started. But you guys have just about convinced me to go 24-70. I mostly shoot senior portrait, but I wanted something that would almost double as a walk around lens. But even still on my 18-105 kit lens, I find myself rarely shooting at 18mm.

You convinced yourself right there!

50mm is 50mm no matter what "view" we have, but not a similar image.

I hate it when people try to get technical and post crap like this because you know what he means.

50mm is 50mm no matter what "view" we have, but not a similar image.

I hate it when people try to get technical and post crap like this because you know what he means.

The field of view is the same as he said, but the distortion and lens characteristics are a whole 'nuther ball game. Nothing really technical about it.

The field of view is the same as he said, but the distortion and lens characteristics are a whole 'nuther ball game. Nothing really technical about it.

I understand what you mean, but he's comparing DX and FF and lenses that are made for those respective cameras. All you're really doing with a comment like that is making things more complicated IMO since this whole thread was about FOV. 50mm on a dx would be useless if it doesn't go as wide as the buyer wanted, no matter the characteristics for instance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back