DxO Optics Pro

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Been seeing this name appearing a lot more recently (that or I've just been noticing it a lot more) so decided to have a play with the demo version for a bit. I'm just curious though (partly since I used lightroom trail and expired it already months ago) how it compares to lightroom in terms of editing power and features.

Far as I can tell it lacks some of the organisation and library setup that lightroom incorporates and also has a whole heap of alternative controls on offer - whilst also missing some or hiding them from me (can't find the blacks control).

Since I currently only have the elements 6 for RAW processing it appears to offer me a lot more - but I'm also wondering if its just the same package with a few tweaks in a different wrapper. In short I guess I'm asking which of the two is the more suitable and versatile editing package for RAW photos.

Grab the lightroom trial also and compare them :) Your opinion is better for you than any of ours. Also never tried DxO Optics Pro, but they have been around for a long time so someone must use them.

A friend of mine uses (or used) DxO. His main reason for getting it, was the automatic and specific lens distortion correction.

DXO Optics Pro is not image database management software, which is what Lightroom's main function is.

DXO Optics Pro's main function is dedicated to image distortion correction, though it is also a well received Raw converter.

Garbz - I would compare them but I expired the lightroom trial time a while ago so I've not got access to it anymore (till lightroom 4 comes out ;)). Also the more I read into the more it does lend itself to the mentioned image distortion correction, which considering I was looking at wide angle lenses recently probably explains why I've been coming across the name a lot more than normally (since I expect the distortion on a macro lens or 300mm+telephoto is pretty small already - unlike on an 8mm lens).

I guess I'm wondering how well lightroom deals with this kind of extreme distortion then in comparison - I still think I'll warm to lightroom over DXO since whilst its respected I can't find any hard evidence that its vastly/noticeably superior outside of interface. Probably will put DXO on the to get list for when I feel "richer" or have a specific driving need to correct a larger number of wide angle photos (I've just not the volume of that kind of shooting to justify its costs).

Most reactions

Back