Dynex DX-TRP60 Tripod Head Replacement

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Many years ago I was looking for a tripod with a pan head. I couldn't find one that I liked at a price I was willing to pay. I eventually settled on a Dynex DX-TRP60 from Best Buy. This is a Made in China product (Dynex is a Best Buy trademark). I think it costed about $50 Cdn. I never liked the head, which does not pan smoothly and does not hold the camera plate (and thus the camera) stead. Basically, I used it with a 2 sec. delay so I was not touching it when a pictures was taken, and I used a monopod when I needed a pan.

About a year ago I bought a replacement standard 1/4" - 20 mountable pan head by Vanguard. The legs are good, so if I can change that much I will have a good tripod. But so far, I have not been able to get the original head off. The top of the center column looks like it is supposed
to be removeable, but it has not budged. If I "crank it hard" I think it will break. I have seen the head on other tripods, so I am wondering if anyone has any experience with removing it? I will wait a while for any replies, but I expect I will just have to try to force the removal and live with the consequences. Anyone know anything about this?

"P5190001a-rsz1640-C1.JPG"
Dynex tripod head with camera plate

"P5190003a-rsz1640-C1.JPG"
- head tilted back, w/flash, close-up detail
- I am trying to remove the pan head
- can see my "tool marks"
- so far, it has not worked
- if I try harder, I think I will damage the parts
- if there is no 1/4" - 20 thread to mount a new pan head, then this will probably "destroy" the tripod

"P5190011a-rsz1230-C1.JPG"
- pan-head tilted "right [vertical]" for "Portrait mode"

"P5190014a-rsz1640-C1.JPG"
- Closeup of receiver for camera plate and locking lever

"P5190020a-rsz1230-C1.JPG"
- column raised, shows gear teeth

Attachments

• P5190001a-rsz1640-C1.JPG
    P5190001a-rsz1640-C1.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 541
  • P5190003a-rsz1640-C1.JPG
    P5190003a-rsz1640-C1.JPG
    287.5 KB · Views: 466
  • P5190011a-rsz1230-C1.JPG
    P5190011a-rsz1230-C1.JPG
    246.2 KB · Views: 512
  • P5190014a-rsz1640-C1.JPG
    P5190014a-rsz1640-C1.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 427
  • P5190020a-rsz1230-C1.JPG
    P5190020a-rsz1230-C1.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 469
Are you positive that that is a removable head, and not held on by something like a crimp or Rivets? On many lower price tripods, is not uncommon for the head to be integrated into the legs and basically non-removablet. My guess based on the original purchase price is that it is a non-removable had come and that you will need A new leg set on which to put the new head.

I can tell you right off that the head is non removable.
The removable types have a diff. setup and moreover are typ. made of aluminum/alloy.
Plastic heads cannot stand up to the rigors of attach-remove stress.
Though some polycarbonites can, the plastic used on that tripod is a typical ABS type plastic.

Are you positive that that is a removable head, and not held on by something like a crimp or Rivets? . . . .

Well that was what I was hoping someone else would know. It sounds like it probably isn't removable.

I can tell you right off that the head is non removable. . . .
Plastic heads cannot stand up to the rigors of attach-remove stress. Though some polycarbonites can, the plastic used on that tripod is a typical ABS type plastic.

You're probably right. Still it would not take much re-design to make the head removable. I pointed a light from the other end and it looks like there is a "trapped" nut or bolt head holding it from the bottom. that could be a 1/4" - 20. All you would need is a tighten-able nut on from the top large enough to spread the pressure. But the piece on the top doesn't make sense. It won't turn, or at least it is too hard. If it was just covering a nut it should be fairly easy to remove.

It's really annoying. It would not take much cost to make significantly better products. Even just to free up the panning, it just needs a washer with a different material, like nylon.

Anyway, I have an old Slick G-series tripod with a weird pan head which was removable, so I put the Vanguard PH30 head on it instead. It isn't much of an upgrade on that tripod, but at least it will be a bit quicker setting up. The result has no bubble level on it, so I need to buy one. That will have to do for now. I'll probably keep the Dynex as-is, at least for a while.

Anyway thanks to you both!

Last edited:
An idea... get a hacksaw, cut off the old head, and epoxy a 3/8 inch nut and bolt into the center column, to attach the new head to....might be a good Saturday project... or not...

Or spend a few bucks and buy a better tripod.......This coming from a major cheapskate. Lol.

Yes for less than $100 you could probably buy a set of the 3001 legs from Manfrotto,on the used market of course. The 3001 Legs are pretty popular

Most reactions

Back