Early favorite from Anthony and Meagan's wedding yesterday.

jamesbjenkins

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.ballengerphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, I'm plugging away at a wedding we shot yesterday in Longview, Texas. Found an image from the reception I'm really proud of, and I wanted to share.

I tried something new for this wedding in that I brought umbrellas in addition to my speedlights and lightstands. I always thought umbrellas were too much hassle, but I was wrong. I don't think I'll ever shoot with a naked speedlight at a reception again.

Feedback is appreciated!

$Vernuccio Wedding preview_130720 - 001.jpg

Last edited:
That is crazy that you use an umbrella at the reception. So big!

Sorry man.. I am not in love with this one at all. You may be able to make it B&W and do some shadow recovery. The way it is right now, her face is too dark on the shadow part.

and the couple is not properly composed. To much of a void behind them, and the face shadows are not complementary.

I'm sad I can't see their faces... I bet their expressions are great!

I agree with the three previous posts... but would have been nice with fill light on their faces. And a vertical crop to just the subjects... background is too dark to be meaningful.

James, the problem with an umbrella is:
1. too big. It may look too ugly for some clients
2. You cant shoot against it. Who wants a big white thing on the background?

I rather have 3-4 strobes. The only mod I will have is gel (if needed). This way you can do some cool backlighting. You need to be able to control it from the camera too, so you can turn any one on and off.

You know, the funny thing is I burned the BG because I found the bridesmaids with their cameras out to be distracting.

And Robin, I have 13 ft stands, so everything stays out of my shots. And I have 4 channel triggers, so I can command them independently along with my 3rd speedlight on-camera.

Guess I was way off on this one being great.

Live and learn.

13 ft can still be in the framing. All I am saying is, I have not seen anyone use an umbrella at the reception.

Neither had I. That's why I tried it. I'm really happy with how the images turned out. At least I was...

Maybe I'd be better off practicing more with bare flashes, or just get triggers that let me adjust their power remotely. It's a royal pain manually adjusting 3 speedlights on top of light stands...

Hopefully, Nikon will take the hint and release their version of the 600RT sooner rather than later. I'd buy 4 of them tomorrow if they were available.

Yeah, I know what you are saying. I am saving some $$ to get a few 600RT all at once. I feel like it is a waste of money if I only buy 1 or 2. Anyway, I have only been using all manual power. The only thing I adjust is the flash on camera. I dont really adjust the powers. I keep all of them at low setting (1/16).

I would go black and white. It is an okay shot, but I wouldn't take umbrellas either.

Yeah, I know what you are saying. I am saving some $$ to get a few 600RT all at once. I feel like it is a waste of money if I only buy 1 or 2. Anyway, I have only been using all manual power. The only thing I adjust is the flash on camera. I dont really adjust the powers. I keep all of them at low setting (1/16).
I am borrowing 2 Ice Lights for my next wedding. I can't wait to play with them during the reception.

Most reactions

Back