Earning Money On YouTube Videos

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Has anyone here actually made money on YouTube videos? I don't mean by selling anything, but making money on the video itself. What does YouTube pay for? Is it view count or viewing time?

No one actually answered my original question, but that's what I expected. The lack of response itself is probably because no-one "here" has made money on YouTube. It seems to me that very few people have ever made money on YouTube.

Actually, I had another question in mind, but after writing the above comment, I forgot what it was. Ok, maybe next time. . . . :)

Has anyone here actually made money on YouTube videos? I don't mean by selling anything, but making money on the video itself. What does YouTube pay for? Is it view count or viewing time?
YouTube pays for nothing. They pay you for running ads in your videos. You need 1000 subscribers and 4000 hours of viewing time in the past year to monetize.

"They pay you for running ads in your videos."
Thanks, I missed that twist.
You need 1000 subscribers and 4000 hours of viewing time in the past year to monetize.
Yeah, that's what I gleaned. The 1,000 subscribers is currently well out of my range (I have 12), so the 4,000 hours is irrelevant to me, but probably also out of my range. :)

To really make monetization worthwhile, you need to put out 2-3 quality videos every week.... at least 15-20 minutes in length. Anything else will be ignored by the YouTube algorithm. And even then, it can take a year or two to reach the ad revenue threshold.

Instead of 4000 hours of watch time, you can aim for 10 million views of your shorts (less than 60 seconds videos, shot vertically with a phone).

In preparation for my retirement I started up my YOUTUBE channel a few weeks ago. I uplioaded 2 videos just to get the thing launched and test the process. I made a mess of the Thumbnails and uploaded a video and accidentally blocked any comments. The second video blocked the view of important bits with the links. Its all a learning process.

For the record I am very proud of my 6 subscibers and a view count of over 50.

My current contract (my last one) ends shortly and then I will be focussed on photography and Youtube full time. I am planning 2 video uploads a week and dont underestimate just how much time this will take.

Will I make any money from YT ????? No Idea !! but I cant see a video about any aspect of photography going viral to the extent of breaching the money threshold.

Saying that a series of video's about a guy renovating an ancient stone cottage did go viral and made the uploader a huge pot of money.

We will see.

Plenty of monetized photography-based content creators. Steve Perry. The Art of Photography. Jared Polin. Tony and Chelsea Northrup. Peter McKinnon. Jessica Kobiessi. Mango Street. Kai W.

Just about anything on the internet from web pages to video clips can be monetized thanks to add revenue. I've looked at it a few times, but it's a strange world with viewers. Some of the silliest things have gone viral, while other things I thought should have gone viral fell flat.

I think I have been misunderstanding the YouTube monetization policy. If I am reading it correctly now, it does not matter that I only have 13 subscribers at this point. I probably won't "make" anything, but I have just applied for monetization. Ok, we'll see what happens. :)

13 subs won't get you monetized.

I've got a couple of home pages because somehow I screwed up and opened two accounts. I haven't figure out how to combine them. Maybe some here can help me. The links are below.

I upload these not for sale but as a repository to show on photo forums, both slide shows and straight video clips. That way I can also see them from anywhere there's an internet connection on my phone or yours, computer wi-fi or 4K TV. YouTube also allows you to check off private viewing only so it's not open to public view. That's a good way to upload family shows that only family and friends can see who you give the password link too.

You can't transfer videos from one account to the other. You need to re-upload those you want to move.

Now that YouTube won't play videos without allowing ads, ad revenue should go up.

Smoke, that seems to be what to do - post silly things, get views... And sell T shirts. And make up a catchy name.

And ask for 'donations'. YouTubers not being charities this seems to be ;just asking people to give them money. For making videos.

Of course there are good videos, not just crap videos on there, but I don't know how much they make.

I used to make thousand bucks a year on my channel with 2000 subs but since now I rarely post anything at all and get very little views, I make maybe $100 a year now if I'm lucky and most of that is from older videos that are still trending for years ago. YouTube is very very hard, especially today with all the saturation. Not impossible but it will take years. I been on YouTube since 2005 and I've only manage to get 2000 subscribers but that's due to my crappy content lol.

Most reactions

Back