Ef 24-105mm 4.0 thoughts?

I don't know much about Brazilian jujitsu, but I do know A fair amount about collegiate style wrestling. You need to have at least two takedowns that you are goood at, and it really helps to have at least two escapes that you are good at, and it is a good idea to know at least five or six counters to common takedown types. You need to know how to wrestle from the top and how to wrestle from the bottom.

100%. End of the year I’ll have my purple belt. But it’s taking a while because i roll A few rounds then just take photos haha

I agree with you there but since you have the f/4.0, my suggestion would be to wait until you can't do shots with the f/4 before moving. Branching off into the primes is a solid idea and you still have the 24-70 that is paid for.

The question really is what do you want more, the 24-70 2.8 zoom or primes?

Ugh! That’s such a difficult question to answer. Because if i get A prime I’m stuck at that focal length, but obviously i would get my moneys worth. If i wanted To go prime (another stinking difficult predicament) it would be a toss up between :

50mm 1.2
85mm 1.2
Or possibly a 35mm 1.4

Again, it depends on what you are wanting to do, the 50 and 85mm are both great for portraits and the 35mm would be great for landscape and astrophotography, as well as, street. However, none of them would be good for sports because they won't focus as fast as you would most likely need them too.

I have this lens and it is very versatile. I bring it when I don't know what I will be shooting but I think there will be a landscape. If I think there will be a portrait I put the 85 f 1.8 in the bag. If you get rid of it you will miss it.

Last edited:
A 24-105 canon f4 was my favorite lens on my now gone 5d. It is a lovely lens with good range, I can imagine it be even better now on cameras that have even better iso and autofocus abilities.

Currently using a Nikon d610 and have a 24-120 f4, A 24-70 f2.8 never really was a serious consideration for me, ymmv

I use the lens on my crop canon as my walkabout lens, .... it’s one of the 3 I take on holiday as it’s so versatile

I agree with you there but since you have the f/4.0, my suggestion would be to wait until you can't do shots with the f/4 before moving. Branching off into the primes is a solid idea and you still have the 24-70 that is paid for.

Ugh! That’s such a difficult question to answer. Because if i get A prime I’m stuck at that focal length, but obviously i would get my moneys worth. If i wanted To go prime (another stinking difficult predicament) it would be a toss up between :

50mm 1.2
85mm 1.2
Or possibly a 35mm 1.4

Again, it depends on what you are wanting to do, the 50 and 85mm are both great for portraits and the 35mm would be great for landscape and astrophotography, as well as, street. However, none of them would be good for sports because they won't focus as fast as you would most likely need them too.

yes, longer is better for portraits
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

50mm 1.2
85mm 1.2
Or possibly a 35mm 1.4

yes, longer is better for portraits
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Just looked at your flikr. Or if it wasn’t still looked. Great shots. What lens?

I use a 24-105 almost exclusively outside of my studio, and sometimes in the studio. When I was new I bought the lens and hate doing it because it didn’t give me ePiC bOkEh, so I sold it and eventually bought canons 50, 85, 100, and 135 L lenses for studio use. But now that I understand focal lengths and composition more and can get a useful amount of subject isolation out of an F4, is rather bring the 24-105 instead of the 50, 85, and 100... Don’t give up on that lens, Brandon. Do a lot of walking forward and walking back for the “same” shot, zooming in and zooming out, get a feel for how each focal length treats your subject. That’s how you’ll know whether you want a 35 or an 85 next.

There was a typo— not “hate doing it” but “hated it.”

Most reactions

New Topics

Back