Help with identification

Heidi Rosser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I’m trying to identify this camera.
It’s rather large, I think and oversized European half plate.
Other features are a Houghton circular disk in the side. I can’t seem to find anything with this particular lens and shutter combination by Houghton.
I’m wondering if this is a made up camera or original special order maybe.
If anyone can offer any insight as to what this is, that would be great. 😁

Attachments

• IMG_1204.jpeg
    IMG_1204.jpeg
    998.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1202.jpeg
    IMG_1202.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Nice camera Heidi! And leave it to Scotty to know... I never heard of it. You two are going to send me down a Dallmeyer rabbit hole...

I think I've finally found out what it is.
A Houghton Folding Klito. I think the earlier ones were made by Krugener (Houghton).
Still haven't been able to find one with Dallmeyer lens though.

The Carfac lens was a budget version of the Stigmatic for amateur use. I don't have many pre 1920 BJP Almanacs but the 1911 Almanac shoes quite a different front standard for the Klito cameras,and definitely Krugener origin. However, the 1915 Almanac shows the same front standard as this camera, no lenses are listed.

Wartime production would mean Houghton's having to use whatever shutters etc were available. Pre WW1 Houghton's used Beck, Cooke, Zeiss and Goerz lenses, during the war only British lenses were available and used on Houghton cameras.

Ian

The Mc Keown's guide (12th edition) says "Several versions include pre-1910 versions made by Krügener and later ones (beginning c 1912) made in London"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back