Ef-S vs EF

I really appreciate everyone's input and answers to my questions. What I'm about to post is mostly just me trying to think through my own thoughts, but please, feel free to add anything you think might be helpful.

Here's my list of "qualifications"
-Reasonably priced (somewhere in the <$500 range)
-Wide angle
-EF, so I can use it on FF once I get one (hopefully that will be next years tax return!)

Any thoughts on this?
Rokinon 14mm Ultra Wide-Angle f/2.8 IF ED UMC Lens FE14M-C B&H

Seems like most complaints are re: manual focus. That's the only way I shoot (or priority) so I don't foresee that being an issue.

I really appreciate everyone's input and answers to my questions. What I'm about to post is mostly just me trying to think through my own thoughts, but please, feel free to add anything you think might be helpful.

Here's my list of "qualifications"
-Reasonably priced (somewhere in the <$500 range)
-Wide angle
-EF, so I can use it on FF once I get one (hopefully that will be next years tax return!)

Any thoughts on this?
Rokinon 14mm Ultra Wide-Angle f/2.8 IF ED UMC Lens FE14M-C B&H

Seems like most complaints are re: manual focus. That's the only way I shoot (or priority) so I don't foresee that being an issue.

You shoot manual focus all the time? What do you mean by "or priority?"

Manual exposure is what I meant, which is good, because the lens doesn't have the capability to auto-select aperture. I don't normally use manual focus, but I'm familiar enough with it that I don't think it would be an issue.

Priority, I meant priority exposure modes.

My brain is hurting today. Ed Rosenthal paid me a visit last night.

Ahhh I see. Shows how much I know... I thought that was desirable (or is it, in limited situations?)

Perhaps I should wait on the wide angle. LOL

You may also consider any of the 50mm. They range in price from $100-1500 but all are decent. It'll be a portrait lens on your t2i and if you go full frame will become a normal view lens.

I would just figure out what focal langths you feel you need and try to go EF when you can and maybe go efs when you have no choice. Most of the longer focal lengths have tons of ef. You're only going to have issues at the wide end and walk around areas.

Ahhh I see. Shows how much I know... I thought that was desirable (or is it, in limited situations?)

Perhaps I should wait on the wide angle. LOL

It's desireable in a fisheye..

Have you considered a 17-40mm f/4L?

Manual exposure is what I meant, which is good, because the lens doesn't have the capability to auto-select aperture. I don't normally use manual focus, but I'm familiar enough with it that I don't think it would be an issue.

Priority, I meant priority exposure modes.

My brain is hurting today. Ed Rosenthal paid me a visit last night.

Yeah, the thing with the Samyang or Rokinon is that you'll want to compose on the widest aperture and then stop it down to the desired aperture at the time of the shutter actuation. I've been looking at the Rokinon 35mm f/1.4, but I'm kind of torn on the AF confirm chip thing.

Yeah, I was just reading up on the AF confirm chip... am I right in my understanding that you have to glue/epoxy it TO YOUR CAMERA? Ugh, not really feeling that.

Yeah, I was just reading up on the AF confirm chip... am I right in my understanding that you have to glue/epoxy it TO YOUR CAMERA? Ugh, not really feeling that.

Uh, not to my knowledge. As I understood it, it would be part of the lens. It would allow you to see when you've manually focused correctly by illuminating the focus point you're using.

Do you have a link where you saw it? I'd be interested to know if that's really how it works. I haven't done a whole lot of reading on it.

I'm not into wide angle, and find the 16-35 is wide enough to 'get more in' in tight quarters using my 60D. Before I would spend any sizable sum on a ultra wide, I suggest you borrow or rent one and check the results. It may be the cats meow for you, or not. Once you go to an ff body, it will, of course, be even wider angle.

As for the 85 f1.8, I think it would be a good addition for you. I just added one to my array of lenses 2 weeks ago.

And, like you, I plan to go ff someday...perhaps next years tax refund, too.

or maybe a Tilt and Shift...

Most reactions

Back