What's new

Eggs, Eggs, Eggs. Another still life looking for C&C

Make it bigger and when you do, straighten out the horizon line on the backside of the tablecloth.
 
Hey thanks CB, You caught my old age on that horizon. I edited this shot, including straightening the horizon, but I didn't like where it was going so I scrapped it and started over. This time completely forgetting to level it again.

View attachment 35273
 
Can you save it next time to 1024 on the long side...I have several conflicts with this image... there's too much going on - bowl, eggs, tablecloth, whisk and wooden tabletop. Toss in two different colored eggs, a pattern on the bowl, a neutral yet somewhat boring background and you have all the makings for an omelet with eggshells in it. The upper left corner of the tablecloth is distracting as is the wrinkle in the foreground. I'd use a simple white bowl on a simple white tablecloth, the eggs and whisk arranged as are but a much tighter crop to lose all the extraneous n"non-productive space."
 
Thanks CB. I was thinking of moving slightly to the left and exposing more of the left rear corner, except I would refold the cloth into a diagonal band, exposing the wood on the rear left and front right corners. You're right. Now there's just enough of that corner exposed now to be a distraction.
I wasn't sure about the bowl print. I guess I should have flipped the coin again :lol:

I think I'll clean it up and try again.
 
Rick, overall, I like the image. I like the arrangement of eggs, I like the light. The things that throw the image off for me are: 1) upper left corner where you can see the edge of the table, 2) the wrinkles in the front left foreground, and 3) the appearance of the wood at the lower right, which doesn’t seem to contribute much.

I’ll differ from ceeboy in that I do like the different coloured eggs, the patterned bowl, and the gingham tablecloth – they all say “country” to me. I find the neutral background gradation of tone to match that of the eggs, so it’s a positive visual echo. The wisk, for some reason, seems somewhat out of place. As for the wood of the table, it appears (to me, at least) to be a bit of redundant “country” imagery.

You’re inspiring me to think about doing something similar – eggs have such a beautiful way with shadows and curves.
 
It wasn't that I didn't like the different colored eggs, they were just one more element in a composition of too many elements to have any visual success.
 
Thanks for the input folks. I have some thoughts to work with. I'll give it another go tonight
 
My suggestion would be to get in closer and use a shallower depth of field. I'm also not digging the 2 different colored eggs. I'd say stick with one or the other. If you do get in closer with the shot, you might have to change out the bowl too since it might be too tall to see all the eggs inside
 
If you are going to have some wrinkles in the tablecloth then make them not look like you forgot to iron it :) I would like it better with all brown eggs as it will look less busy, more contained
 
This is interesting. So far I got:

Keep the background, boring background
Keep the bowl, busy bowl
Keep the whisk, lose the whisk
Keep the mixed eggs, use solid eggs
Keep the table cloth, use a solid table cloth

About the only thing everyone agrees on is, Nobody likes a wringled tablecloth :lol:
 
There's a lot of stuff going on in here, I would probably simplify it some. The corner of the table upper left, the exposed table lower right, the number of eggs, the checked tablecloth. Just strip some of the stuff away, it does't matter much what, and it'll come together more.

The main thing that bothers me that that there's a strong visual thrust to the left. The whisk points that way, the eggs are piled up weighted on the left of the bowl, there lots of lines leading down and left, and the "horizon" seems to be tilted that way as well (although that could as well be an optical illusion. The whole thing feels slightly vertiginous, as if it's going to fall out of the frame to the left.
 
ah, you know how it is, Rick. Ask 10 people for their opinion and you'll get 16 opinions. :lol:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom