Elan IIe (shutdown) problem

35mmonline

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone might have some insight into a problem I'm having with my Elan IIe. A while back it started acting up with the following symptoms.

I can get a low random number of shots off before the entire camera appears to shut down with a flashing dead battery indicator. I'm using an EF 28-105 USM lens on it when this happens. Right at the moment I don't have another lens to try to see if that's causing the problem.

The lens appears to focus nice and fast and doesn't appear to make any unusual noises or such.

I've tried different batteries, different brands. Also have cleaned the battery contacts and made sure there was plenty of contact pressure to the battery itself. I'm at a lose. Forgot to mention that once this problem happens I can turn the camera off and back on again and all works for a little while. The battery indicator shows full charge after cycling the camera and doesn't appear to get low before the problem occurs, it happens spontaneously and at random.

Has anyone ever experienced such a problem?

Not with the IIe. I'd find your local canon repair facility and see what they say. The IIe was one of those cameras that never seemed to have many problems from what I've heard.

Hmm, I just have to hope the cost of repairs will be worth it. I really like the camera, wouldn't mind trading it up for a digital EOS however. Not worth much with it's current little glitch.

It's also odd that it never screws up the exposure, even when it malfuntions. Perhaps I should just get the verticle grip for it with the AA batteries.

It's either your battery contacts and battery door are not upgraded to taller one or your EF 28-105's diaphram not opening , sticking.

When it happens again, check your lens diaghram before turn the power switch off. If it's closed then send lens to repair.

good luck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back