Electric Generators

upliftmofo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anybody have any recommendations for a small portable generator that could run a couple 300ws heads?

You know this is going to hella loud? They are loud as hell, unless you put them far far away, or it doesnt matter.

on small gas generators, they are all pretty similar, they are all loud. One with a Briggs and Stratton or Honda engine are pretty good, all small engines have a life of about 2000 hours, most engines can be rebuilt, however there are some honda OHC engines that are not rebuildable, the OHV models typically are rebiuldable, but That could have changed. That is all prettymuch a moot point if you cannot rebuild it yourself, otherwise its cheaper to buy a new one. Get one that has an easy regulator adjustment so you can compensate for voltage drop if you use long runs of cable to keep the generator at a quieter distance. Always meter power at the end of your cable run before you plug anything into it.

If you are going to use a generator, you may need to clean the power before using it for your strobes. I believe it's a Pure Sine Wave Inverter that you would need.

For the same price as the generator if not less, you could do the Vagabond system and it would be a whole heck of a lot quieter.

people are mentioning the V2 powepack - which is hands down the way to go.. if you're using bees or white lighting monolights. but, if you're using a flash head that feeds off of a powerpack (like profoto 7b - which are something like 2000w/s) a generator would be the way to go.

since you're asking about generators, the honda line isn't really that loud at all, and are very reliable. I mean, if you're out in public firing off strobes with 3 or 4 people around you, chances are that you'll draw quite a bit of attention anyway hah. you'll need to get a permit to use it though - not actually to have it running, but because of the space you'll be taking up with your lights, cords, etc.

people are mentioning the V2 powepack - which is hands down the way to go.. if you're using bees or white lighting monolights. but, if you're using a flash head that feeds off of a powerpack (like profoto 7b - which are something like 2000w/s) a generator would be the way to go.

since you're asking about generators, the honda line isn't really that loud at all, and are very reliable. I mean, if you're out in public firing off strobes with 3 or 4 people around you, chances are that you'll draw quite a bit of attention anyway hah. you'll need to get a permit to use it though - not actually to have it running, but because of the space you'll be taking up with your lights, cords, etc.

The V2 works with more than Alien Bees and White Lightings and I did mention made for monolights. The V2 has been tested with Elinchrom digital monolights and would probably work with pretty much any monolight out there. Of course, bigger lights get less shots, but a claimed 1200 pops at full power with the B800 is pretty good.

You mean something like this.

http://www.profoto-usa.com/products/pro-7/pro7b.asp

I shall repeat myself then: "Clean electricity, quiet, affordable, environmentally and model friendly."

Anybody actually dragging flash heads and power bricks around really ought to look into either alternative power as posted above or monolights and something like the V2. Flash head, stands, multiple cables, power brick(s), generator, gas, lots of extension cords etc. do not make for a convienient shoot.

The Honda generators are not loud at all! Even some of the chinese knock offs are well under 60db now. You can have a normal conversation standing right next to it, and not be bothered by it at all! Honda's also puts out stable power. Well under 3% (electronics safe). This is where the knock offs differ. They are upwards of 5-6%. Honda makes a 1,000 watt version that is quiet, compact, and fairly light. But you pay for it. Also a 2000 watt, and bigger 3000 watt in the really quiet ones. Yamaha also makes I think a 1,200 watt one that has similar numbers to the small honda. And then there is lots of copy cats. But the quality differs on them

I have 2 knock off ones. They both start on first pull, quiet and the first one dependable for 3 years even though only occasional use. Not as quiet as a Honda, but can be right next to it with no problem. Just got the second one.

The V2 works with more than Alien Bees and White Lightings and I did mention made for monolights. The V2 has been tested with Elinchrom digital monolights and would probably work with pretty much any monolight out there. Of course, bigger lights get less shots, but a claimed 1200 pops at full power with the B800 is pretty good.

woops, my mistake. I actually just remembered that it'll work with dynalite stuff, too.
but the op didn't say what type of strobes he/she was going to be using, so I'll maintain objectivity for the sake of my ego :lol:

You mean something like this.

http://www.profoto-usa.com/products/pro-7/pro7b.asp

I shall repeat myself then: "Clean electricity, quiet, affordable, environmentally and model friendly."

Anybody actually dragging flash heads and power bricks around really ought to look into either alternative power as posted above or monolights and something like the V2. Flash head, stands, multiple cables, power brick(s), generator, gas, lots of extension cords etc. do not make for a convienient shoot.
I somewhat agree. For the op's purpose, the V2 would probably be a good option.
Again with my ego here.. but the V2 is only rated/recommended for use with 400w/s strobes or lesser powered. Where as the profoto pro 7b packs are rated for 1200w/s - convenience sometimes wouldn't make up for those extra 800w/s when you really needed pump out the juice. Most of the guys using profoto gear usually have a small to moderate team of assistants and techs to help with lugging around and setting up all those generators, cords, and extras anyway, so I'd again say that the V2 would suit the op better. I just like to argue :greenpbl:

woops, my mistake. I actually just remembered that it'll work with dynalite stuff, too.
but the op didn't say what type of strobes he/she was going to be using, so I'll maintain objectivity for the sake of my ego :lol:

I somewhat agree. For the op's purpose, the V2 would probably be a good option.
Again with my ego here.. but the V2 is only rated/recommended for use with 400w/s strobes or lesser powered. Where as the profoto pro 7b packs are rated for 1200w/s - convenience sometimes wouldn't make up for those extra 800w/s when you really needed pump out the juice. Most of the guys using profoto gear usually have a small to moderate team of assistants and techs to help with lugging around and setting up all those generators, cords, and extras anyway, so I'd again say that the V2 would suit the op better. I just like to argue :greenpbl:

Directly from Pauls site on the V2 page.

[SIZE=-1]The NEW Vagabond II Portable Power System provides portable, battery power for all of our Paul C. Buff, Inc. flash units and power packs, giving you the ability to power your AlienBees, White Lightning and Zeus systems in the field or on location where power lines are unavailable or unreliable.

With the advent of the high power Zeus system, we felt it necessary to provide a significantly improved Vagabond II battery powering unit, offering faster recycle times from a single second generation PSI900GF pure sine wave inverter (designed specifically for Paul C. Buff, Inc. lighting systems). This level of power from a single inverter is necessary for high power units such as the Zeus. The single PSI900GF inverter converts the power from the internal 20AH, 12 Volt battery into a current-controlled, pure sine wave power source.

The system additionally includes a built-in global charger (for 100VAC to 260VAC charging), making it truly plug-and-play with no need for the user to disconnect or reconnect cables. The Vagabond II also allows for easy battery changing and for connection to car batteries for all day shoots. Packaged in a heavy-duty nylon carry bag with padded shoulder strap, the Vagabond II system weighs 18.6 pounds, measuring 10.5" (height) x 8.5" (width) x 6" (depth).
[/SIZE]
The Vagabond II can handle up to 6-8 flash units. To run more than one light, connect a power strip/surge protector to the Vagabond II, and plug your lights into the power strip/surge protector. [SIZE=-1]The Vagabond II system arrives with the PSI900GF power inverter, the B20A internal battery (12V battery), the built-in global battery charger with charging cord, and the [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]auxiliary[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] battery cables - assembled and ready to charge inside the black and orange VIIBAG carrying bag.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] The Vagabond II system includes a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI). A GFCI is an electrical device that monitors the electricity flowing in a circuit to detect ground faults. This built-in GFCI allows for safe operation of the system without the physical ground requirement.

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]The Vagabond II is designed specifically for powering Paul C. Buff, Inc. products and we cannot make any claim for suitability with products from other manufacturers, nor can we accept any liability for any damage that might be caused to such equipment. We will, however, warranty the Vagabond II itself as well as any Paul C. Buff, Inc. equipment it powers.

The system is not designed to operate modeling lamps continuously as this would deplete the battery rapidly, cause slow recycle and could overheat the inverter. It is permissible to operate the lamps briefly for light composition, then they must be turned off.[/SIZE]​

The Zues Z2500 is a 2500ws head. I would never trust any strobe unit to an unregulated portable gas power source and a good Pure Sine Wave Inverter can be quite costly as well. Plus it is one more piece of equipment to add to the chain. I would rather have three deep cycle batteries in the back of the truck to hook the V2 up to for all day power and longer use of modeling lamps. Again, cleaner and quieter and to me safer.

Did you by any chance read any further than that page? ie the specs. there's a little over 7 second recycle times with a 2600w/s head. That's a long time.

[SIZE=-1]
The Vagabond II, with a fully charged battery, will recycle most flash units at a rate between 270 and 400 WS per second. A good rule of thumb for estimating recycle rates with three to five monolights is 335 Wattseconds per second. Larger power packs and larger numbers of monolights may approach the 270 Wattseconds per second range. Recycle rates will become longer when the battery gets low. The recycle rate is dependent on the design of the flash units, the power levels they are set to and the number of flash units connected to a single Vagabond II. Recycle rates will be fastest with a single monolight (such as a single AlienBees or White Lightning flash unit) and slowest with larger power packs (such as Zeus, and others), or with multiple monolights. Of course, recycle rates with Vagabond II can never be faster than the recycle times when the lights are operated directly from power lines.

What does this mean? Suppose you have four AlienBees B1600 (640 Ws) or White Lightning X1600 monolights connected to a single Vagabond II, for a total Ws rating of about 2600 Ws. If all units were all set at Full Power, you would divide 2600 by 335, and a recycle rate of about 7.75 seconds would be indicated. If the same four units were adjusted to 1/2 power, the number of Ws being recycled would be 1300 Ws, and the calculated recycle rate would be about 3.9 seconds.
[/SIZE]

The Zeus system has its own pack, here
It is possible to use the V2 for Zeus heads, but honestly why would you want to? It would hinder the overall charge of the battery, and drain so quickly that you'd be wishing for a generator, or a Zeus powerpack..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back