Elements of visual design in portraits

abovenormphotos

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Hi All.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my portraits.

I am hoping you can point me in the direction of finding out more on how I can learn about effectively using elements of visual design in portraiture photography.

A photographer who commented, mentioned things like using triangles and dominant lines and posing the arms in accordance to certain lines and this extremely foreign and I haven't much knowledge about these conceits.

After some research, I understand that these are concepts that are the basis if visual design. While I have been constantly reading up on the elements of photographic composition ( which seems similar and yet differs vastly), I believe the success of some photos I have produced incorporate these ideas of visual design even without me realizing.

Hence, I would like to find out more to incorporate them consciously in my photographs instead of chancing upon them after the photos are taken.

All the resources online about visual design simply explain what these elements are (eg form, shape, lines etc) and usually point towards its use in landscape/macro photography. I'd really like to know where and how I can learn to incorporate all this into portrait photos. Are there any books/videos/tutorials?

Thank you very much.

Warmest regards.

Hi izziek,

Thanks for the recommendation. Shall go read up!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back