Embaressed

Same boat here.... Just recently posted some photos from one of my classes in the general gallery section. I tell you... having that assignment to "force" me to get out and take pictures wiht a focus on the people and their activities really helped a lot. I wouldn't be honest if I told you I still hesitate A LOT.

In my other life (with a development organisation) I spend a lot of time in developing communities in Asia and Africa.

While I'm a keen photographer I'm almost always too embarassed to pull out the camera. So I return from these trips with some of the most stunning portrait style opportunities with a memory card full of buildings and landscapes. :)

Dylan

Philip Weir said:
They, I imagine thought I was PRESS, and my shooting would enhance their cause.

Similarity. The first time someone walked up to me and asked whether I was with the newspaper, it cured my reluctance. Now, I remember the times I've been asked that, and is also helps when people just look at me once, then proceed to ignore me. It makes it that much easier to ignore them in return.

Basically, I'm at the point now where I don't especially care. My biggest concern is usually where to park my car so that everything is within walking distance.

Also, Phillip, I like the idea with the hood that's red on the outside. I'll have to do something similar when I finish my view camera. Sometimes, it's just fun to make a scene.

I enjoy street photography although I practice a few rules…

• Never invade someone’s space…sure I may include a number of people in a shot, but I never get right up on them.
  • Always ask the parents permission before photographing a child
  • If it is obvious that I want to include a specific individual in a picture, I ask their permission first.
  • Whenever I take an individuals photo, I always ask them if they would like a copy and on more occasions than I can recall, I have either taken a print to the person, or sent it by mail/email.
  • I don’t take photos that would embarrass or exploit people, or take pictures that take advantage of another’s misfortune.
  • I never take photos in closed environments, i.e. train, airplane, metro, restaurants etc. The reason is that people are captive and the confined space doesn’t provide a way for them to avoid having their picture taken.
  • I never make an effort to conceal my camera, and or surprise someone.
  • When taking photos of people’s property, which is not on public display, i.e. a car show, I will make an effort to ask permission.
  • Be aware of signals and looks of protest, i.e. I person that holds their hand up to hide their face, doesn’t want their picture taken.
Sounds like a lot of “rules” but really just common sense and courtesy, and I have never been turned down to take a photo when I have asked.

Street photography is a lot of fun and a great way to improve ones skills, camera and people, plus you will make lots of new acquaintances. As I live in a country where I am a foreigner, language is often a problem, as there are numerous dialects and I speak a very few, but the universal concept of taking pictures has always worked. When going to very rural areas, I will bring along a portable printer to make prints, and in rural areas this is a great way to attain cooperation, and in doing this people have been very hospitable toward me.

Don’t be shy, and always be polite and considerate of others and you will open a door to a great adventure.

I know how you feel. I feel somewhat guilty for no real reason when I have a camera out on the streets. I feel better about it when I'm at some kind of public event like a concert or parade but still.

To try and get over it I've asked a few strangers if I could take their picture and they've been friendly, but still I just feel wierd about it.

Consequently I do a lot of landscapes and shots without people :meh:

I think I might try something. I get these lanyards from the conventions that I
go to. I might get a business card laminated with the word PRESS on the back
in red or something. Hang it around your neck and never get the funny looks again?

I wonder if it is illegal to impersonate a person of the press?

Heh.

i used to get embarrased

then i sold my soul, never been a problem since!

j/k of course, the main piece of advice is to have courtesy and respect as you're taking pictures of people and not just an inanimate object, all you really have to do is gain their trust, there's lots of photographers out there taking street photos, you aren't the only one out there, and in my own personal experience people are also more receptive of you (ie: i was taking pictures in a park, people were jogging and they stopped for me, i thanked them), it's much like a two-way conversation but don't think everything has to be done with words

the mere fact you have a big fancy camera in the open is enough to say "i'm not being voyeuristic", and the more patient you are and more open you are that voyeurism shrinks

some of my best people photos were from when i was in Thailand with a documentary filmmaker, in that case we'd sometimes split up to cover as much ground as possible, obvious language barrier but in the end that didn't matter, if i wanted somebody's portrait i would do something as simple as point to my camera then point to them, much better than blazing in like cowboys, other times i would simply take other nearby pictures before getting up close and personal, the first few seconds are awkward but after that - smooth sailing

I know what you mean, I have a similar--similar?--the same avoidance when shooting in public spaces. I've been home, meaning back in the States a tad over two years now (I was living and working in E.Europe, in Kosovo), and moved quite a bit through former Soviet blocked countries; even though I was grossly conspicuous (not many black dudes on the streets in Macedonia) and everyone would stop and gawk at me, especially when I'd whip it out--a camera, that is--I never felt I was committing a social faux pas.
The people were less inclined to feel their space invaded than here in the States, although now with our almost pandemic mistrust and heightened fear of anything which smacks of surveilleance, you need only stand outside the gates of any building before someone alerts a guard, especially if you're holding a camera. But I've brought back with me the same approach I took over there, that is I attempt to make people absolutely comfortable with me, and then pray they become comfortable enough to disregard me; I don't thrust the camera at them, rather I try to exploit (what a word!) their curiosity about the paraphernalia then I may say something like, "well, let me show how it works, I'll photograph you." It doesn't always work, but it's an icebreaker, although, one afternoon in Istanbul it almost got my ass stomped. . .more on that later. Be yourself out there, make the people comfy, get to know them, then shoot them.

oh why the hell I didn't see this thread until now!

Well it is always different when you go out and shoot with other photogs. When you are ina grouo of 2-3 you just don't care, you feel more confident. While when shooting alone in a crowd people pay attention only to you. And I'm a bit crazy about this coz I feel unsafe then. I am worried that somebody may attack me and grab my camera!

But often.. I like to hide... I sit on a bench or on a grass in the park... and shoot from there. Sometimes I just walk and "snap" and then dissapear. Actually here the law in on photogs side so you don't need to ask for a permission to take a picture of somebody. you can even stand in fron of them and take a photo.

mentos_007 said:
But often.. I like to hide... I sit on a bench or on a grass in the park... and shoot from there. Sometimes I just walk and "snap" and then dissapear. Actually here the law in on photogs side so you don't need to ask for a permission to take a picture of somebody. you can even stand in fron of them and take a photo.

I wasn't aware that in some countries one has to ask for persmission to take a picture of somebody! Aside from courtesy, of course. And afaik there's no such law here in the USA (I reside in Florida). By the way, mentos, good luck with trying to hide in plain sight. Lol. You're quite a striking looking young person (i.e. your avatar photo) and it should be quite difficult!

I've only ever once asked someone if I could take their picture, and even then it was a silhouette from behind, so ehh.

Still awkward.

Oh, and it was 8:30 on a Friday evening. On a beach. So clearly, I have timing issues.

But I knew that anyway.

Oh well, it turned our alright, and it's given me the confidence to try to stray away from buildings more.

The problem is, I have a couple photo 'ideas' in my head, but have no one really to implement it and basically go along with whatever I want.

I need a girlfriend. For that reason, if no other.

I also need to stop typing like a newspaper, with a different paragraph for each sentence.

God damn New York Times.

Haha... funny you should mention your guitar... its pretty opposite for me -- I'm pretty confident with the camera around my neck, but very timid if its my guitar around my neck :)

Don't be afraid of people unless they have sticks, guns, knives, or bats and look really angry
Haha... Good advice

I have noticed how people tend to be more friendly to me when I have my camera with -- why, I have no idea. In the past week since I've gotten my Rebel, I have had SO MANY people come up to me and comment on my taking pictures, the scenery, the "nice weather for taking pictures," the subject I'm shooting, or whatever else they feel like saying. I'm very much a people-person so I dont mind at all, I just find it kind of funny how us photographers keep trying to blend into the scenery and be ignored, and people keep seeking us out like we're a novelty.

You know, while we can all relate the one thing that kept coming to mind when reading these posts is that every photographer has this issue though some have overcome it and a lot haven't. That makes me think if you were to overcome it... you'd have that skill that others are too shy or embarrassed to obtain. I'm in the same boat with the embarrasment thing but I intend on overcoming it.

If you're younger... I would suggest wearing a backpack, school t-shirt, etc and maybe make yourself look like a student. Then if you run into questions you can always pull the "It's a class assignment." card. I'm 26 and plan on doing that to start out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back