Emulsion lifts!

terri

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, not really. :icon_mrgreen: I came across a video discussing the use of waterslide paper for quick and easy "emulsion lifts" even though it's not classic photographic emulsion. Waterslide paper is designed to go through inkjet printers, for a fast way to print out a decal for a business that can be pasted onto things like coffee cups and the like. But any digital file can be used.

So I had a play with it. Once you print your digital file, you coat it with an enamel spray to get those inks waterproof. Cut out your image and then slip it into a tray of water, like you would with the real process, only without heat involved. The "emulsion" lifts off easily in less than a minute. That stuff is strong - much less friable than classic Polaroid emulsions.

This first one I did on very cheap watercolor paper. I really tested the emulsion's strength - cutting, tearing, ripping everywhere. It was what I wanted to do in keeping with the subject, so it was a perfect test print for the process. If you look closely, upper and side left and elsewhere, you can see how hard I dug into the paper trying to rip that emulsion. I learned to use something other than a blade to avoid damaging the paper like this!

Torn sail:

Torn sail.jpg

The original shot is just a cell phone snap I took a couple of years ago from my vantage point on Mackinac Island. Dull as dirt. :lol:

Lake Huron.jpg

I used Arches watercolor paper for this one. This is a snap I took of a cheerful poster near the door of a business reminding customers of their requirements for entry during the pandemic:

Mask Up!!

Mask Up.jpg

Since my precious store of actual Polaroid film is expired beyond its ability to do real emulsion lifts, this stuff seems like a worthy substitute. Bonus points for being able to use any digital image, too, no P-film required. Thanks for looking!

Cool stuff, back in the day, (way back), one of my photo classes was on retouching. One of the tricks they taught was to lift the emulsion from a print and put it on the print you wanted to retouch.

The instructor showed us how he took a shot of an old downtown church that had a power pole with all the wires in front and removed it by placing lifted emulsion of the bricks that were beside the pole and wires.

Mind you this was before Gates and Jobs were out of diapers and a computer filled a large room.

Neat stuff Terri......! It's fun to make one off crazy prints. Makes me want to get out my paint brushes and "paint" developer onto BW prints.

Neat stuff Terri......! It's fun to make one off crazy prints. Makes me want to get out my paint brushes and "paint" developer onto BW prints.
I'd love to see you doing more of that, Scotty! As I recall you included one of those pieces in your interview here. One of my favorites of yours!

Cool stuff, back in the day, (way back), one of my photo classes was on retouching. One of the tricks they taught was to lift the emulsion from a print and put it on the print you wanted to retouch.

The instructor showed us how he took a shot of an old downtown church that had a power pole with all the wires in front and removed it by placing lifted emulsion of the bricks that were beside the pole and wires.

Mind you this was before Gates and Jobs were out of diapers and a computer filled a large room.
That sounds fascinating!

I'd love to see you doing more of that, Scotty! As I recall you included one of those pieces in your interview here. One of my favorites of yours!
I have a stay-cation in Oct. I might try to do a few of those then. I had to look but I do have one in my interview.

there is a chemical that is applied in TWO coats, at seperate angles to each other, then when dry will REMOVE the photo image off of a photo print.

A coat of the chemical is applied to the surface it will be put on, and when its dried, a thin coat is put over the whole image again.

its water proof. Cant remember the name, but it was always instock at a jewelry supply company in the USA.

hi @terri Do you know what brand waterslide paper you used? I tried this recently but the brand that I bought was fairly thick making it very forgiving and wanted to lay flat and level for the most part. I was able to add some wrinkles but they were larger ones and a little sparse unlike your torn sail image that has a lot more texture and folds.

hi @terri Do you know what brand waterslide paper you used? I tried this recently but the brand that I bought was fairly thick making it very forgiving and wanted to lay flat and level for the most part. I was able to add some wrinkles but they were larger ones and a little sparse unlike your torn sail image that has a lot more texture and folds.
Hi Linus! It was fraom Hayes Paper Co., a brand I hadn't heard of before. I followed their guidelines on printing and it worked just fine!

Don't be afraid to use implements on this stuff to get the folds and wrinkles you're after. Toothpicks and Q-tips are helpful. :) Have fun!

Hi Linus! It was fraom Hayes Paper Co., a brand I hadn't heard of before. I followed their guidelines on printing and it worked just fine!

Don't be afraid to use implements on this stuff to get the folds and wrinkles you're after. Toothpicks and Q-tips are helpful. :) Have fun!
Thanks Terri! I'll give that one a try, too :)

Most reactions

Back