Engagement Session C&C

Then there's no need to manufacture a story through contrivances. Then again, maybe I'm alone in my apathy toward photos of a dude kissing his fiance's forehead like she's a child.

There are so many ways to tell a story. If that's the only way for a wedding/engagement photographer to tell the story of his/her clients then the person is just an average wedding/engagement photographer LOL

I don't think engagement photos are generally about publicity.

I don't even know what you mean LOL

The viewers are the couple. If they just want some nice photos together then it doesn't matter whether or not we see a story in the images.

I feel like there's this push to put every photo in the context of what would look good on social media.

The viewers are the couple, the friends, the families, whoever they're going to share that with (either online or offline), whoever the friends/families are going to share the photos with, and if you want to do this as a business then your potential clients. The couple will always LOVE their own photos, but other people may not. This has nothing to do with social media. Photographs that tell amazing stories have been around before the Internet.

There's always a story to each image. If there isn't, there should be when it comes to engagement and wedding photography. The "story" more or less about the emotional connection, the interaction, the feel that you get when you look at this type of photos (even if it's your own). I mean if you want a few nice photos then full auto mode, golden hour, snap snap. You get some nice photos. If you want photos that will generate some sort of emotion, it's a whole different "story". :)

The locations chosen for this photo shoot were chosen because of importance in the couples lives and relationships. Those who are close to the couple will recognize the locations and likely know the reasoning behind them.

Other than cheesy “staged” poses, I’ve never really seen an engagement session that “tells a story” any more than just being some nice photos of the couple interacting and being themselves.

Also, I have about 140 more photos to sort through and edit from the evening so this isn’t the complete set.

There are so many ways to tell a story.

There's always a story to each image.

Exactly.

You lack any context to be judging these photos on the merit of "story."

And since every photo tells a story, as you stated, there is no basis for critiquing them on that aspect.

Edit: And honestly, who gives a flying **** what the family thinks of the photos the couple paid for.

Last edited:
....and since we're start posting photos, I don't claim to be an expert but here's a recent shot. It's an imperfect image but no kissing forehead in here :D

_D758602.JPG

....and since we're start posting photos, I don't claim to be an expert but here's a recent shot. It's an imperfect image but no kissing forehead in here :D

View attachment 148729

I don't care about either of these people, so I don't understand the story. In my eyes, as a third party observer with not connection to the couple, they're just two engaged people staring at each other and smiling.

I don't care about either of these people, so I don't understand the story.

Yeah, I didn't expect you to. LOL You're not within the demographic. If you put my photo up against the OP's photo, and ask 2 future brides which photos are better, they will tell you all the reasons why.

Always admire your work, so please don't think I'm being a butt here, I just want to learn. What do you see as the story being told by your photo? And, how is it different from those posted by the OP?? I'm not understanding it?

Yeah, I didn't expect you to. LOL You're not within the demographic. If you put my photo up against the OP's photo, and ask 2 future brides which photos are better, they will tell you all the reasons why.

This dick measuring is tiring. I've seen both styles of photos from photographers who each get consistent work.

Always admire your work, so please don't think I'm being a butt here, I just want to learn. What do you see as the story being told by your photo? And, how is it different from those posted by the OP??

Not at all, it's a GREAT question.

The "story" is in the details, not just how they simply interact. From hand gesture, eye contact, body placement.

This dick measuring is tiring. I've seen both styles of photos from photographers who each get consistent work.

I'm just simply sharing what I think when I take photos, since I shoot wedding and engagement fulltime for a living. If you feel that's it's "dick measuring" don't take my free advice and go on. You do you! No big deal :D

The "story" is in the details, not just how they simply interact. From hand gesture, eye contact, body placement.

I'm sorry, guess I'm dense but I'm not understanding. Is it possibly that they are sharing some kind of moment or reacting to a comment???? Or is your definition of story something different?

I'm just simply sharing what I think when I take photos, since I shoot wedding and engagement fulltime for a living.

Then take my free advice and be wary of your ego. Or don't. I don't care.

Always admire your work, so please don't think I'm being a butt here, I just want to learn. What do you see as the story being told by your photo? And, how is it different from those posted by the OP??

Not at all, it's a GREAT question.

Eh, I’ll agree to disagree. The story behind my photos is much more meaningful *if* the couple is close to you and you’re privy to their story. Each of the locations I photographed them in have importance in the history of their relationship and their families. I allowed them to interact and be *themselves* which lets their personality shine through rather than some contrived story that I decided to manufacture through posing.

I'm sorry, guess I'm dense but I'm not understanding. Is that possibly that they are sharing some kind of moment or reacting to a comment???? Or is your definition of story something different?

If you'd like I can share my thought process through PM. The definition of "story" is different and I'm coming from a different point of view. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back