Entry into the realm of photography

J-DILLA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking into several models of cameras, as I would like to get into photography.

The models I've been looking at are:

Sony Alpha a230
Canon Rebel XS
Nikon D3000

They are all in my price range from 450- 600$.
Could you guys tell me which one is the best one for the money? And if there are other models I should take into consideration?

The are all pretty good, I don't think you can really say that one is better than another because they each have they strong or weak points.
My advice is to go into a good camera store and get your hands on each of them. One of them might feel better to you, and that may be enough to edge out the others.

For a beginner like me, what are some features I should look for?

For a beginner like me, what are some features I should look for?

Each of them has the features that a beginner would use and each of them has the capability for you to grow somewhat.

As much as I have always liked Nikon, that particular model is slightly "lens-crippled." The body does not have a focus motor and the autofocus function will not work with older lenses. (You can still focus manually.) On the positive side, a beginner is not likely to buy those lenses. Go to the B&H web site and look up Nikon lenses. They'll warn you if the autofocus won't work.

They all have the basic functions that you will need. The 'bells & whistles' might be a little different from one to another but those are usually extras and not as important as the basic functions.

HERE is a side-by-side comparison.
Digital Cameras Side-by-Side, 3 cameras: Digital Photography Review
Of note is that the Canon is the only one with Live View. Not an essential feature but some people like it. The Canon shoots the fastest (3.5 fps) but it looks like the Nikon may have a better buffer (can keep shooting continuously, longer).

hey guys in my country i have the possibility to buy at the same price :
1. Nikon D3000 DOUBLE ZOOM KIT 18-55 VR + nikon 55-200mmvr + Nikon bag + Lexar 4gb sdhc
2. Canon EOS 450D kit EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS + Tamron AF 55-200mm f/4-5.6 Di II LD Macro
i'm leaning to the canon because I have also some old m42 and minolta lenses that wolud work better on the canon ... yes I know about the infinite focus and everyting
I have read all the literature about this subject but i'm not quite sure which way to go...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back